Lady Hermann not her usual self

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,
Glad that the swallows are doing well, planning their long haul flight, hopefully they will return next year. They evidently feel at home and like your carport area.
Teztez loved the picture of Zola in his splendid hat! I think she was a bit jelly, but very impressed with his air of insouciance.
His relaxed manner of arranging his gorgeous legs shows how confident he feels when being held.
Hope you are all well. It's so stormy here, Teztez sits by the aga nearly all day.
Fond regards to you both from Teztez and Ruth

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth and the magnificent Lady - I thought would like to know that two swallows are in and out of our car-port a lot again - we think they must be the parents, as they seem to be a pair - surely they are not going to start another nest ? I know they often have two broods, but it seems a bit late in the year. If so, the nest will be behind the beam where the previous one was, and alarmingly close to a long fluorescent light (which we rarely use.) We can't really see it from the ground, and it is in shadow.
When Zola was out the other day, he met a family who have a young tortoise, and they exclaimed how big Zola's legs looked. It made me think how much he has changed, as they were like little matchsticks at first. It's a long time ago, and I can't find any photos of him when very young, but I know he was only 5 when he was Best Tortoise at our wedding, and I thought you might like to see him.
Love to you and the wonderful Lady Teztez xxxxx

IMGP7126.jpg

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie, that is a lovely photo. Zola looks very alert and responsible on his official cushion. You all look very happy. Your pupils must have loved being in your class, Angie, your face is so beautiful and kind.
That is so intriguing regarding the swallows behaviour. Perhaps they know there is still a remnant of summer weather in store!
Someone told me the other day, when we were watching the swifts, that migrating birds can see lines of magnetism and can navigate for their journeys of thousands of miles.
Amazing creation.
Love from Lady Teztez and Ruth xx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you, Ruth, for saying such nice things about the photo -as you probably realised, it was a very low-key wedding - just two ladies from a nearby office as witnesses, and Zola. We wanted to have him there, as he is really our only family now. He was amazingly well-behaved - even having his morning wee and poo in the flower-bed outside the registrar's office just before we went in - so thoughtful and helpful !
We had decided we should get married, to be each other's next of kin if one of us was ill, and for legal matters generally, as we knew it would be easier. I still kept my surname, to save all the fuss of changing it.
We went to Barnstaple today, to get Zolas's radicchio - our route goes through some beautiful scenery, but the little twisty roads are often difficult to go through, because of all the traffic now. We think it may be because of drivers using satnavs much more now on holiday - they don't know just how tricky the roads can be.
Zola is exhausted from having to sit on my lap for so long
Love to you and the superb and regal Lady Teztez.
from Angie and Zola xxxxx.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Just a note to say that there were 2 swallows swooping out of the car-port when we went in. Often the first really significant sign that there are eggs being hatched is smelly little presents being dropped on the front of the car. I don't think we will ever get better photos of the babies than Richard did with the first brood, but there's something really special about having them choosing us.
Love to you,Ruth, and to the remarkable and inscrutable Lady Teztez xxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Just a note to say that there were 2 swallows swooping out of the car-port when we went in. Often the first really significant sign that there are eggs being hatched is smelly little presents being dropped on the front of the car. I don't think we will ever get better photos of the babies than Richard did with the first brood, but there's something really special about having them choosing us.
Love to you,Ruth, and to the remarkable and inscrutable Lady Teztez xxxxx
Two swallows in our car-port today, watching us calmly - They truly seem to have accepted us - and the car - and maybe are even pleased we are around to protect them.
Zola would like you to see this new photo of him striding along the breakwater - he thinks about where he is going to go next - you can see him looking around as he moves - but he shows no fear or hesitation. We are very proud of the little chap !
Love from Zola and me to you and the most magnificent Lady Teztez xxxxxonward!.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Super shore patrolling tortoise, Zola, thank you for the magnificent picture.
Hello Ruth - I thought you would like to know that the swallows have definitely got a new nest in the carport, behind the beam from which the old one fell (so we can't see it properly) - the evidence is there !!! Several tiny smelly fecal sacs have been dropped on our car bonnet - so at least one has hatched out. We are so proud !!! Maybe we shall hear the babies cheeping soon. They do develop amazingly quickly - we hope eventually see them practicing flying in the carport.
How are things going for you and your family - and the amazing and mysterious Lady Teztez ?
Love from Zola xxxx and Angie xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Zola and Angie, that is amazing, fancy their raising another family!
The late summer warmth must be encouraging them.
The mysterious and amazing one has been doing a spot of gardening, here she is among the sweet pea plants, also enjoying a warm patch of freshly cleared soil, it used to ve a dank little dark corner where she liked to hide, but i yanked everything out yesterday and she is condescending to admit that it is nice to sit in the afternoon sun.
She seems very well, I do hope you all are doing well also.
She had to go and stay with a friend recently
20230823_174326.jpg

Attachments

• 20230823_174432.jpg
    20230823_174432.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the photos - the Lady looks wonderful, as usual.
Now I have something wonderful to show you -my dad managed to get these views of the swallows' new nest - and look !!!
new-nest-01x.jpg

and another !!!! Zola xxxxnew-nest-02.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Awesome photos !!

They are awesome, aren't they.! I love the fluff on their heads. I think they are younger than the ones we rescued - who are now, I hope, feeding these new little chaps.
I hope you haven't been having problems, to have to let someone else look after Teztez. It's none of my business, I know, but I look on you as a friend, and get worried about you.
Angie xxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Angie,
That is so kind of you. We are all well, thanks, we had to go away to visit friends and so Teztez was invited to visit the aunty of one of our sons-in-law, who used to own two rescued tortoises, and was delighted to have Teztez. We packed her up carefully with her hut, a heat lamp, and her soggies, and a strong wire run.
She was very well cared for, and did not escape. We were happy to see her again after the weekend away.
The baby swallows are truly unique. Their fluffy heads, like black dandelion clocks.
And those yellow beaks. Their parents must be very proud of them. Aren't they clever.
The carport must be just right for them! How lovely to remember this summer.
Hope you have a good night.
With love from Ruth and the enigmatic but amusing Lady Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The little swallows are already making cheeping noises - we were really surprised how quickly the first brood developed after we rescued them , so probably these will be the same. I have so much admiration for their devoted parents - nature is so amazing when it gets a chance !
Zola informed me last night that I must stroke his head constantly when he sits on my lap to watch tv. I have been able to recognise his "this is too noisy" behaviour, and also "I want some more food" and "I want a wee" when on my lap, but this is fairly new - he has a small towel loosely wrapped round him, and I put my hand in the towel to hold him gently and stroke him a bit. However, I have also been stroking his head a bit, fairly randomly. Last night, he pushed his head against my hand in a determined way, so I stroked it - then I moved my hand - he scrabbled crossly - I put it back on his head - and so on. Awkward if one would like to drink one's tea . He was very persistent, and in the end I humbly acknowledged I was neglecting my duty.
I find it very endearing that he is able to communicate so well with me! He communicates with Richard too, by altering his position when he is being carried on a walk.
Does Teztez do this sort of things with you?
Love to you and the superb Lady T.
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Ruth - the baby swallows are making a lot of noise now - and a great deal of poo, as well ! Richard saw fifteen swallows lined up on a cable almost opposite our carport yesterday - we've never seen that before - as if they were going to travel as a group. It will be a while before our babies are ready for flying - I don't think they have even tried their wings out yet at all. I hope they won't be left behind.
Zola has been going for his walk on the breakwater most days, but today was cold and wet, so he had to make do with climbing about in his conservatory. I was looking at how he moves, and I really think the breakwater expeditions have strengthened his legs quite a bit. He walks with a kind of swagger now - a gun on each side and a Stetson hat would complete the picture ! I'm sure Teztez would find him even more attractive now !
Humble but deep regards to the Lady, and love to yourself from Angie and Zola xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Angie and Zola,
It feels rather autumnal now, hopefully the swallows will have some good weather for their long haul flight. Thank you for the update on the baby swallows. I hope that there are still some insects around for them to build up strength.
Teztez has been keeping warm inside during the rainy days. She does have endearing traits, showing that she trusts us. She gently touches my fingers with her nose, checking if I have some treats for her. She also comes close to our garden chairs if we are sitting outside, and parks herself close by, waiting to have her shell scratched and stroked.
If we have visitors, she knows immediately, and surges forward to check out their shoes. She isn't at all aggressive, just keeping everything under surveillance.
We have had family staying over the past 3 weeks and she has had lots of attention from the children. The 2 and a half year old calls her "Tor tor" and was very interested in her bath routine and bedtime ritual.
It has been very busy, but enjoyable.
Teztez is most interested in Zola's patrols of the breakwater. She listened with her head right out as I told her about his gun slinging persona. This is a new aspect of Zola's character and she will be looking forward to hearing more.
I noticed a robin flitting about yesterday, and thought about Richard's friendly robin who takes mealworm from his hand.
I hope you all stay well.
Thinking of you all, love from Lady Teztez and Ruth xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth and The Lady Teztez - you mentioned your robin -is he a regular visitor? The current robin in our garden was coming to stand on Richard's hand during the spring a lot - in fact if Richard opened the back door, he would almost invariably appear looking hopeful. However, he vanished for a while, and when he re-appeared, he was very scruffy and nervous. Now he is back to his smart and perky self ( either he had been moulting or just overworked feeding his babies ) We have had many robins over the years, and some have been exceptionally fearless and friendly. I've asked Richard to send me some photos to send you. We have even in the past given people like the postman the chance to feed a robin on their own hand, and made them very happy !
Richard took Zola for his walk on the breakwater today, and met a lady with a little boy. They were both very interested in him, so Richard asked the boy if he would like to feed him some lettuce. The boy squatted down and very carefully held the leaf out - and Zola approched and took a bite. Richard suddenly realisd the lady was crying - tears rolling down her face - she was just so moved by the sight ! It's wonderful what Zola can do !
The swallows are clearly fattening themselves up well for their future journey, judging by the amount of poo every day on the car bonnet cover.
The Lady Teztez clearly does consider your house and garden her personal domain - and you and your family her kindly servants - that is so lovely after the years she basically had to look after herself at the farm park - I'm sure she is very very happy to be with you.
Love to you alll from Angie and Zola xxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth -I said I would send you some photos of baby robins - Richard has kindly sorted out a lot of them - not all from the same year, and some obviously becoming more adult than others - my word, there are very few lovlier things than a little unafraid baby robin !!! The parents kept coming for worms, so the babies learned to do the same.
Here is a particularly lovely one, and also one just landing on my hand. I will send you more in the future.
Love from Angie and Zola to you and the remarkable and lovely Lady xxxxxx
robin-baby01.jpgrobin-baby05.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - just a note to let you know the latest swallows are out of their nest and flying about - in fact, we think they may have left the carport. How can they possibly have grown up that much already ! I think they will be around some of the time for a few days yet, though. We can at least check the poo situation on the car, which will give some idea !
Angie xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We went out this morning with Zola, for a quick look at the sea, and there were a couple of swallows in the carport. When we got back, there were quite a few flying around - 4 of them sat on a wire stand near my door. When I got out, they weren't a bit bothered, even though I was only a couple of feet away, and I was able to look closely.They all had semi-baby beaks - they were the latest ones, for sure. The parent came to feed them while I stood there, and there were definitely others - a bit bigger and sturdier - who were obviously the first brood who we saved.
Isn't that amazing !
Angie xxx