Large Indoor Winter Enclosure Substrate

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
Hello, all.

Now that the weather is cooling, my leopard is back indoors full-time. He's almost 3 years old and his indoor enclosure is an 8x4 table-style setup lined with pond liner.

Up until this point, I've used ZooMed forest floor mulch substrate. it's worked well, but months of spot cleaning has thinned it out quite a bit. It's time to replace it.

As the ZooMed mulch is quite expensive for an enclosure that size, I'd like to at least explore other options. Could I possibly just mix new forest Floor in with the mulch that currently remains? That doesn't seem like the cleanest option. Could I used hardware store cypress mulch, which is much cheaper? Is there another good choice that I am overlooking?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Cheers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes to all the above. You could also use plain dirt mixed in or alone. Also cypress mulch or coconut coir. Mixing in some dirt, your would have a pretty good base to grow grass and weeds.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I went to Home Depot and got two bags of Cyprus mulch and six bags of fill dirt . I have a 8/8 indoor set up. I think it cost me $22.00 not to bad . If you go if they have bags that are opened or ripped the will sale them half off or more to save more cash.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
For curiosity sakes can I see a pic of your setup? My next enclosure I want to make 4x8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app