Large rocks in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hey again, question...again. >.>

So I've found and cleaned off and set up some really nice good sized rocks in my aquarium for my turtle. See, she loves it, and they are perfectly set up..But can stacking rocks that are, say...5 lbs each, maybe..15 lbs in a stack in a corner, perhaps a bit more. Mostly granite and heavier rocks..

She loves to climb them and I have her basking area at the top of them.

My question is, for a 30 Gal tank is that too much weight? Water wise I have 15 gallons of water in it.

They haven't caused any problems for the hour or so I've had them in, and I'm just wondering if they will be a weight issue.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tank is on a solid stand, that supports the whole bottom and not just the outer edge, then it shouldn't be a problem unless they fall and crack the glass. If it is on a stand that only supports the outer rim of the tank, like most metal stands, then I would be concerned. BTW, where's the pic.:D

LindaF

5 Year Member
I think it mainly is determined by the stand or support that it holding up the tank or that the tank is resting on. For example a flat surface would be better than a stand that just supports the edges.

Rocks are nice in the tanks, but they scare me that if you fumble or slip with them while cleaning the tank there is a high risk of breaking the glass.

Just my opinion.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Hah, I've actually got a table at the moment that is completely perfect size and flat all around.

I'll upload pics once the whole place is done! I've got a new filter ordered, getting more gravel, and some more plants and of course wood props for her to climb on.

I also have a good amount of gravel down, so the rocks are only barely touching the glass on the sides, all of which I found are rounded and not jagged.

She's also got a new UVB light, which she is loving. I'm fooling around a bit with her basking area, because she loves to sun herself.

As for cleaning, I have them in a nice easy stack that's easy to lift out. There are 5 to 8 or so, good size ones, so moving them is easy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might want to silicone them together so they would be less likely to be knocked over. Keep an eye on them. If she can't knock or kick them over, then you should be fine. Can't wait to see the pics.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
She can't, I've got em well set up. I probably will silicone them after I get a better idea of how I want the ideal setup and fool with it more. As for her knocking over though, she's a small stinkpot. Only about 3 inches, and very light. She crawls up them easily without budging a thing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.