Large tortoise

Hrasmussen20

Location (City and/or State)
Gulfport Florida
I am really wanting to get a larger tortoise like a sulcata or Galapagos. I am setting up my back yard as we speak and am hoping for a good size to start like 20 inches or larger. My friend had a Galapagos when I was growing up and I just think they are so cool Anybody in Florida need to rehome there's I'm intrested and anybody have any good ideas on hides for the

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
The Aldabra seems like a really cool tortoise too. They are the second largest species, behind the Galapagos. Definitely one on my wish list!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No one will rehome one for free. They go for big money and the larger they are the more expensive. The sulcata you might get a free one. Either one needs a very big yard and a heated shed for those cold nights you do get.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Check petfinder.com. There are sometimes tortoises (often Sulcatas) that have “outgrown” their owners. Many are already at reptile rescues and can be adopted for a minor fee. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No one will rehome one for free.

~ Not true, we have had several contact us requesting we take them. The problem has always been that they have always been large young males and usually with some sort of issue. We have always declined for various reasons, mainly because we do not have the space needed to house them properly at this time. Our new location there will be ample space for such possibilities. There are some that simply want them to have a great home and that they are well cared for, no financial motives.

40461386_679720259056097_14284017549443072_n.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
~ Not true, we have had several contact us requesting we take them. The problem has always been that they have always been large young males and usually with some sort of issue. We have always declined for various reasons, mainly because we do not have the space needed to house them properly at this time. Our new location there will be ample space for such possibilities. There are some that simply want them to have a great home and that they are well cared for, no financial motives.

View attachment 250003
Wow, would never have thought that. Are they rehoming them because the issues will cost a lot of money to correct/take care of? That I would understand. Maybe because it's you? Wouldn't give to just anyone?
I don't like animals going for free. Specially ones that could bring in good money. It just gives cause for too many to flip the tortoise.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
There's also the matter that folks just get in over their head with a huge pet they can't care for. There are just too many big tortoises being sold for the welfare of the tortoises. Where will they all find to live decent lives?