Leaf litter

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger16

5 Year Member
So I want to follow some advice I've gotten on here and give some leaf litter to my Burmese. I am concerned however about not knowing plants/foliage well enough. Are there leaves out there that could be poisonous? Do they attempt to eat the leaves at all? Should any pile of leaves outside suffice? Any particular kinds that they especially like? How should I go about this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well..what type of deciduos trees do you have around your yard? That would be a good start :D

The two RFs did munch in the leaves from the dwarf nectarine tree that I tossed into their enclosures....

Also during the tortoise season my CDTs will munch on leaves from our elm and mimosa trees.....but the leaves then are green.

badger16

5 Year Member
Yeah, that's how limited my tree knowledge is....what's deciduous? I have no idea what kinds of trees are around me. I wouldn't have a clue about identifying them. I suppose I better start with researching what I have available and start trying to ID them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Lol...I apologize....it means the trees that leaf each season then drop those leaves for fall and winter...they do this in preparation for cold weather...they do this to send all of their energy into their root system in wait for prime weather to return and then boom...they bloom their beautiful leaves and either fruit or blooms or simply the leaves.....the winter time is best time to trim back your deciduous trees.....if you take a picture of some of your trees and leaves I bet we can help ya out in figuring what you have...:D

badger16

5 Year Member
Haha, thanks Ascott. I was just looking that up. I'll have to get some pics going. I couldn't help but notice the mass amounts of leaf piles outside of my place today, and I wanted to start scooping then all up. I also just noticed that I posted this thread in the wrong section, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.