Leopacata

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Which are the father? Leopard or the Sulcata??

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I still find these animals fascinating.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Remember this from few years back ? ......

"been there done that" ...;)

Now this would have been a crazy cross..... (this was never intentional and never happened , but every time if put together in close range - this male elongated would go after the leo female ....)
[/URL
]

JD~:)
I can't say I like the idea...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
It was an interesting project a buddy of mine did (which I was very intrigued )....This was quite a few years back , so it was "unique" at the time. The two animals I had from weeks old , were actually very awesome torts - both in looks as it was neat to see the developmental change in coloring and characteristics displayed with both species involved as well as exceptional personalities . I wish I actually would have l kept these two ...
unfortunately the person who purchased them has never been in contact....:(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Before all the negative speculation and opinions are thrown out ….there was a lot learned from this in a scientific perspective. This is/was not a “forced copulation” so it seems species that “are closely related will and can produce hatchlings. Is this a need for sex? A built in cue that all males must breed? Are there pheromones involved? What cues for sexual advancement did the male make?
…. The list can go on and on …..Now I’m not saying I agree with crossing – but nevertheless until folks do something like this – we would never know. Try tracing your own DNA and you would be very surprised ….…

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Hybrids are awesome. I love seeing the differences in crosses. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Before all the negative speculation and opinions are thrown out ….there was a lot learned from this in a scientific perspective. This is/was not a “forced copulation” so it seems species that “are closely related will and can produce hatchlings. Is this a need for sex? A built in cue that all males must breed? Are there pheromones involved? What cues for sexual advancement did the male make?
…. The list can go on and on …..Now I’m not saying I agree with crossing – but nevertheless until folks do something like this – we would never know. Try tracing your own DNA and you would be very surprised ….…

Hey, I know I'm a mutt and proud of it:p:D

Would love to,know, if there were a female of the same species as the male, would he had still gone for the leopard female or the one of the same species? Hmm.
Although the cross breeding make cute torts, dogs, cats, etc, etc, I don't like it and don't like that people are purposely doing it. Not saying you or the friend with the pic torts, but there is another person that is all about it and he would probably cross a tort with anything if it would produce money makers. Mistakes happens, I get that, but doing it on purpose, I think it's wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a beautiful cross. Would I do it? No, but I'm not totally against the idea if someone else does it. Would I buy one? I really doubt it. But I like looking at them.

erica anne

5 Year Member

I am curious, are these guys typically sterile?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Friendly reminder, this is not a debate.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Ok, this thread will be locked, if the rules are not followed, no debate here.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Ok, this thread will be locked, if the rules are not followed, no debate here.

So….my post stating completely and entirely un-confrontational opinions, attempting to discourage debate, AND defending Gerard's reputation (actually, mostly just that), was deemed inappropriate because this is "not a debate thread"? I'll have to re-read the seven rules again….guess I missed something?

I guess maybe I'll be allowed to re-iterate the part that I would suggest everyone simply appreciate this animal for what it is, an oddity, regardless of your opinion or the methods used to produce it. Beautiful animal, Anthony. Who produced it?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
@Turtlepete defending someone is still debating, I moved your post to the mod section, if you think my descion was wrong, please feel free to contact another mod, and bring up your concern (s).

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So that is a very pretty and cute tortoise. I have heard all sides of the debate so I won't go there. But I am interested in the scientific aspect. research on these crosses? How does it affect their health? Habits? Personalities? Tolerance to different and varied environment? Diet preferences? Breeding activity? Fertility? Hatch rate? What happens three generations down the line? Having answers to some of these questions would be very interesting and could make less of a debatable topic depending on those answers.