Leopard baby beak triming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1000

5 Year Member
I have a concern with a leopard baby tortoise 69 grams one yr old needs her beak triming small fragile undershot jaw my concern is that the vet suggests a little gas i wonder if this might have a adverse effect because of her size if any one has any advice on this matter i would appre it

Sent from my LG-E400 using TortForum mobile app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I cannot think that such a small tort needs their beak trimmed. Putting food on a hard flat surface like a slate, stone or tile and providing cuttlebone normally wears the beak naturally.

Post a picture before you pay a vet, so we can judge whether it needs interference yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on what JoesMum suggested. I would also not let a vet give it gas for a beak trimming. Most experience tort owners trim their own torts beaks. It may be time to find a new vet, I would be very cautious with this one. Start feeding on a flat stone or piece of ruff tile and also let his rip his own food up, instead of chopping it up for him. Also do you have a cuttle bone for him, if not put one of them in with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to "gently" disagree with what has been said. Having several tortoises with over-shot under jaws, I realize that if this problem had been corrected when the tortoises were babies and still actively growing, it might not be such a problem as it is now as adult tortoises.

It is hard to give a tortoise "gas" because they can hold their breath for a very long time. An injection might be the better option.

Is your vet a qualified tortoise vet?

mjc1000

5 Year Member
Thank u for advice hope pic help full she eats on hay very well with 3 siblings all hatched out same time all 3 times her weight size

Thank u for advice hope pic help full she eats on hay very well with 3 siblings all hatched out same time all 3 times her weight size

Attachments

• 1373042531474.jpg
    1373042531474.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65

mjc1000

5 Year Member

Attachments

• 1373043239599.jpg
    1373043239599.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 54