Leopard enclosure substrate

Cheyennejordan18

I have a 2 year old leopard tort that I am having a hard time finding bedding for. Right now she is on cypress mulch but I can't find it anywhere here in boulder co. Are there any cheaper options? Does anyone else live in boulder that may know where to get something? !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I prefer orchid bark. I don't know if you can find that in Colorado, but try plant nurseries.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Even organic potting soil has unwanted additives in it. If using a soil, buy top soil not potting soil.

I prefer not to include sand in the substrate of an indoor enclosure. It doesn't bother me if it's outside though.

I do use some sphagnum moss in the corners and around the base of the plants. It sits on top of the coco coir. The Leopards like to burrow into it.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
When I used just top soil It attracted bugs and seemed to stay way too damp, then I mixed in some sand with it and didn't have that problem any more and the bugs went away. Sand isn't a problem if mixed with something else like topsoil, coconut fiber or sphagnum peat moss. I also like using sphagnum moss but I don't mix that I just lay that out in random piles on top also in their hide.

TuRbOtOrD

I like using cypress mulch b/c it tends to hold moisture wellbunlike Eco Earth