Leopard gecko shedding question

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
I've been looking into adopting this gecko but I am really concerned about the skin over his eyes.

The person says he is almost a year old and has had the skin over his eyes for a week now. He also says the poor gecko can't see. So the poor gecko hasn't been able to see for about a week. Any advice on what to do ?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464489172.503913.jpg

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Soak him and honestly see if you can peel it off.
It might just be that the gecko is having a hard time shedding on its own.
I'd ask and see if it has a hard time shedding normally. There can be issues on the tips of tails and feet but for it to be on the head I kinda strange.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Also, between you & me (and the rest of the forum obviously) his tail isn't as far as I'd like. But it is a young gecko and if it hasn't been now to see in about a week then I doubt it's been eating all that well so I'm not surprised.
Just make sure that it doesn't have any eating problems before adoption, that can always be a nasty surprise.

gabby.santana

California
Well see this person is rehoming him off craigslist because he says he has no time for him and I decided to look on Craigslist first for that very reason, that someone might not be providing the proper care to an animal that really needs it. I mean if the animal is in a bad situation I would like to take him out of it

gabby.santana

California
I have the patience and love to get this animal where it needs to be but I'm new to these guys so it's going to take some time for me to learn but I already joined a gecko forum and hoping I can provide him with a much better life if he is not having one already

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My coworker had a reptile (dont remember if it was a bearded dragon or not) but he said when it shed, sometimes the eyes would need some help so when he soaked it, he would gently rub the skin off the eyes after 20 mins or so. Maybe same case here ?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Soak him, then use a q tip to very gently try rubbing it off. I keep mineral oil I the house to help with difficult sheds also. His tail is not as fat as we like to see but it's not stick thin so i don't think it's too much of an issue. And he's not emaciated. Other than the eye problem he looks pretty good actually. If he can't see I'd imagine he's pretty nervous and flighty right now.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Well see this person is rehoming him off craigslist because he says he has no time for him and I decided to look on Craigslist first for that very reason, that someone might not be providing the proper care to an animal that really needs it. I mean if the animal is in a bad situation I would like to take him out of it

I agree 100%. I didn't mean that if it had an eating issue, not to adopt. But it would help you to know in advance so you know what to expect.
I seriously doubt it does have an eating problem though, it's likely just because it can't see so it might not have eaten this week.
Other than that it looks like a good leopard! I love these guys, I hope you do adopt him! Keep us posted as always. :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You could even just try dipping a q tip in mineral oil or coconut oil and gently rubbing the area before event soaking. I don't u derstand why the current owner isn't trying to help this guy. Poor thing must be so stressed.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Soak him and honestly see if you can peel it off.
It might just be that the gecko is having a hard time shedding on its own.
I'd ask and see if it has a hard time shedding normally. There can be issues on the tips of tails and feet but for it to be on the head I kinda strange.
The head is the only place mine has ever had difficulties.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
The shedding issue? I don't really think so. I think it's probably a lack of humidity issue. Leopard geckos are usually in very dry conditions and a lot of owners don't soak them. But I don't think you usually have to soak them, but I think every animal will enjoy a bath! :)
You could give it a soak every once and a while, or at least when it's shedding to help it out.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You do not want to soak leopard gecko(unless there is already stuck shed). You also do not want to spray the enclosure. You want a dry enclosure but you need to provide a humid hide to avoid shedding issues.

Here is one example of a care sheet that covers the basics.
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCKeepingLeopards.htm

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I'd keep in mind that it may not be an eating issue, though it very well could be, simply because most (and by most I genuinely mean around 80% sadly) owners underfeed their geckos. I can't remember the last time I walked into a pet store and saw leopard geckos that didn't look underweight, either. I have a buddy that has taken in hundreds of these guys and usually their tails balloon out in no time.

I think it's because they're such popular pets, and most people get them from chain pet stores. The average gecko owner won't keep a large supply of food (ie a colony) to feed the gecko so they just feed what they think is enough, but it isn't.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'd keep in mind that it may not be an eating issue, though it very well could be, simply because most (and by most I genuinely mean around 80% sadly) owners underfeed their geckos. I can't remember the last time I walked into a pet store and saw leopard geckos that didn't look underweight, either. I have a buddy that has taken in hundreds of these guys and usually their tails balloon out in no time.

I think it's because they're such popular pets, and most people get them from chain pet stores. The average gecko owner won't keep a large supply of food (ie a colony) to feed the gecko so they just feed what they think is enough, but it isn't.
I disagree. This gecko does not look emaciated. And I have found the opposite. Once adult these geckos slow down with eating. I have a 120 gram adult male that eats 10 to 12 regular mealworms twice a week. That's it. And he is quite chubby. Losing a few grams would not hurt him really!