Leopard hatchling progress

Laura Lynn

Hi! I've posted before about my leopard hatchling, Verne, shell softening, but this is beginning to reverse and the top and sides of his carapace are getting firmer, but the plastron is still kind of soft. I just wanted to share Verne's progress over the past two months.

I got Verne from a pet store two months ago, and he has improved greatly. The store had him in a small enclosure with no hide, no humidity, no heat, and a water bowl so high that his head could not even reach inside to drink, let alone soak. He couldn't even open his eyes.

I replaced the original uvb lighting with a MVB and the temperature is now about 105 Fahrenheit on one end, and the other end is about 75-80. He has a hide on the opposite end where the humidity ranges from about 50-70. (The substrate in his table is reptibark, and in the hide the substrate is coconut to retain moisture.) However, since I have changed the light he very rarely leaves the humid hide. I do take him outside for sunshine daily, but even then he just wants to hide in the shade. I know that hatchlings hide most of the time, but I think he hides more now with the MVB than he did before.

Sorry for the rambling, but he is my first hatchling! I want to make sure I am doing everything right! Here is a bit more information:
His diet consists of kale, spring mix, clover, hibiscus, and aloe. And I recently ordered Mazuri to add. I've tried to feed grasses, but he very rarely eats them. I sprinkle D3 calcium three times a week.
I only soak him once a week in the natural sunlight because he usually soaks himself in his water dish.
I live in Florida and it is very warm and the humidity is very high. His table is kept outdoors under a patio roof with screen walls. The table is 2ftx4ft.

If you think there is something that should be changed please comment! I'd love to hear from other tortoise keepers!

And I've attatched some photos of Verne: before I got him (eyes could not open), a week after I got him (eyes wide open, and feeling SPUNKY), his table set up (before adding food, water, and tortoise), and him soaking in the sun today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 33

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
He is lovely. Does he have night heat - maybe from a che?

Laura Lynn

I do have a CHE, but I have not used it yet. Night temperatures hardly ever drop below 80, and he is kept outdoors. Should I use the CHE even with these conditions?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
If you are sure its ok in his enclosure you may be OK but maybe check with the caresheet for temps for babies. I use mine with a thermostat so that if temp does drop the che will keep a nice even temp. My leopard was older when I got him so not sure what the conditions for babies should be,