Leopard T has a cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyaz

5 Year Member
Sparky has a cold, has been to the vet and is receiving drops to help dry up but she isn't eating and is drinking very little. She's also very quiet now is this due to the slow down expected this time of year? she's under a year old, her vet check went well good development, she was strong (thursday) and still fights back at medicine time. Any veteran T advice for a rookie T mom?

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
normaly when they are acting slow and not eating it meens their to cold...what are the temps of her enclosure, and for the drinking part you should just soak her once a day in warm water.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :D

What are you giving for drops?

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sparkyaz: Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with what Krissy as said to you. What you describe sounds as if your little baby isn't warm enough.

Tell us a bit about how you keep the baby and we'll be better able to help you.

Yvonne

sparkyaz

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sparkyaz: Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with what Krissy as said to you. What you describe sounds as if your little baby isn't warm enough.

Tell us a bit about how you keep the baby and we'll be better able to help you.

Yvonne

Thank you, Thank you & Thank You. I appreciate the help.

She was definately cold, per her Doc. Following his advice we have added a heating pad under her box which is a 2ft by 4ft 27 gallon under bed container. I've also added a red light instead of the white heat lamp. He advised to also cover half the box with saran wrap to induce humidity, and I've added a piece of slate on top of that to offer her more 'dark' space. Her daytime temps are now 83-87 degrees heating pad on medium per a digital thero night time 80-84 heating pad on low with red lamp on.

Her drops are Gentamicin Sulfate (Ophthalmic solution) 1 drop twice a day after cleaning her nose and applying presure under her chin for suction. I have to use a qtip for the pressure I just can't grab her by the head.

Thanks again!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Where to start. :)

Did you have lights on 24/7? You need the lights on for 14 to 16 hours a day for Leopards. You also need a basking lamp that makes a hot spot of 90 to 100F. They also need a dip in temperatures at night, to the low 70's.
That being said, while sick your set-up is good, except your night time temperatures should be around 86F and the same 86F for the day time temperature while she/he is getting antibiotics.
Not sure though that antibiotic eye drops are whats needed for his/her respiratory infection. Most of the time he/she would be getting injection everyday or every other day.
What are you using for a substrate?
Have a look around the Leopard section here and check out this website for how to take care of your Leopard tortoise http://www.africantortoise.com/

Danny

sparkyaz

5 Year Member
The white heat lamp was on 24/7 but focused mostly in 1 area on a piece of slate for basking and until last Thursday's Dr appt. there was no cover so all heat evaporated. She had 1 injection when see last Thursday to just start her dry up and has a follow up scheduled for Thursday the 26th if she's not dry by then her Dr will prescribe injections. Thanks the link is great. Any hints for getting her to eat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sparkyaz said:
Any hints for getting her to eat?

I LOVE the positive thinking ("HER)!!

If they can't smell the food, they won't eat. And if her nose is plugged up, she can't smell. Hopefully once the antibiotic kicks in she will start feeling better and will start to eat.

In the meantime, take a page from Danny's book and soak her every day in water that has bird vitamins in it. You can buy liquid bird vitamins at any pet store. Add a couple drops to the soaking water and soak for 15 or so minutes daily. You want her in a smallish container...a cereal bowl with deep sides works good, something small that she can't climb out of. I usually put the bowl and tort back inside the habitat right NEXT to where the light concentrates on the floor of the habitat. Don't put it right under that concentrated spot or you will end up cooking the tortoise. She will absorb some nutrients from the vitamins while soaking and if she drinks it too, all the better. Keep checking on her during the soak to be sure the water isn't getting too hot or that she might have tipped over on her back.

Keep us informed.

Yvonne

nature'sown

5 Year Member
Don't be scared or over react:
Hold her to your breast for periods of time allowing her to have your nurturing body on her's, the touch of your hands holding her will be comforting and reassuring for both of you. And by all means talk to her , all animals need attention , not as an after thought while you are doing something else(don't kill to birds with one stone)direct your attention directly to her. Animals are very sensitive , they pick up vibrations of fear and it scares them.
Joe
PS you both will be okay

sparkyaz

5 Year Member
RE: Leopard T has a cold-update

Today Sparky seems a little better, she opened her eyes again and they were clear and she was responsive. I soaked her for about 10 minutes and she passed 2 large clumps of pure mucus. Her nose is clear but she still has lots of salavia/mucus. Were keeping her box 93F-98F in the sheltered area low 70's on the other side, she hasn't been in that area at all. Does it sound like were on track?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The two large clumps of pure mucous MIGHT be harmless urates, or it could mean the tortoise is positive for anaerobic bacteria and protozoa. Has your tortoise been de-wormed? This type of parasite is usually killed off by administering metronidazol (Flagyl).

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.