leopard tort. (light/UVB)

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
I've not used a tube so don't know anything about them, but I'm sure someone will tell you if it s wrong - sounds as if it should be OK to me though

I'm not that good for info, only repeating what I've been told or read myself, didn't know a thing this time last year!!
But it's good advice so thanks! What MVB do you use then? I also used the readigrass yesterday which they enjoyed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The MVB provides basking heat and UVB: Hang it vertically above the enclosure so that you get 95F underneath it. Use it by day onky.

CHE provides only ambient heat, not basking heat. It should be used with a thermostat. You use this to improve the background temps in an enclosure, day or night.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
The MVB provides basking heat and UVB: Hang it vertically above the enclosure so that you get 95F underneath it. Use it by day onky.

CHE provides only ambient heat, not basking heat. It should be used with a thermostat. You use this to improve the background temps in an enclosure, day or night.
Thanks Joesmum,
Which MVB would you recommend?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have only used tube
Thanks Joesmum,
Which MVB would you recommend?
Because Joe is an outdoor tort... here in the UK... he gets his UVB from the sun. There is UVB even when it is cloudy outside as I found to my cost as a teenager when I got terrible sunburn on a cloudy summer day.

I have only used tube UVB with a separate basking lamp, so am not in a position to recommend a particular MVB.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
But it's good advice so thanks! What MVB do you use then? I also used the readigrass yesterday which they enjoyed.
I have an arcadia mini D3 from Pets at Home - £39.It hangs vertically about 10" above Lola's shell and she has room to adjust her position so she doesn't get too hot or cold etc.
If you're torts are eating plenty of fresh grass regularly I wouldn't worry too much about the readigrass. Lola rarely grazes even when he is outside so I use it as a substitute, he still won't eat it unless it is ground up and stuck on the leaves of his weeds. Picky tort!!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I have an arcadia mini D3 from Pets at Home - £39.It hangs vertically about 10" above Lola's shell and she has room to adjust her position so she doesn't get too hot or cold etc.
If you're torts are eating plenty of fresh grass regularly I wouldn't worry too much about the readigrass. Lola rarely grazes even when he is outside so I use it as a substitute, he still won't eat it unless it is ground up and stuck on the leaves of his weeds. Picky tort!!
Hi Lyn,

I might try the MVB once I replace the strip bulb as am using the CHE at the moment, I looked at the powersun type which have a good rating, on the Arcadia mini D3 what temperature does that reach? And the cool part?

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
S
I have only used tube

Because Joe is an outdoor tort... here in the UK... he gets his UVB from the sun. There is UVB even when it is cloudy outside as I found to my cost as a teenager when I got terrible sunburn on a cloudy summer day.

I have only used tube UVB with a separate basking lamp, so am not in a position to recommend a particular MVB.[/QUOTE
Hi Joesmum,

So do you use a CHE for your basking area? I have only used UVB but I see a lot use MVB

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi Lyn, Just thought id let you know the tortoises love the readigrass with the flower mix, they can't eat enough.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lyn, Just thought id let you know the tortoises love the readigrass with the flower mix, they can't eat enough.
Hi David glad to hear they have good appetites. I haven't seen the flower mix Readigrass, but would check the flowers in it on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk, as not all flowers suitable for other animals are Ok as regular feeds for torts - some are only ok in moderation.

If my tort grazed naturally outdoors though I wouldn't use Readigrass until winter but he doesn't seem that interested - although he loves his dandies, clover and plantains. I am going to try to grow my own for winter again this year - left it too late last year so failed miserably.
Also don't know if you soak the Readigrass for them, but keep an eye out that any sharp bits aren't hurting their mouths.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David glad to hear they have good appetites. I haven't seen the flower mix Readigrass, but would check the flowers in it on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk, as not all flowers suitable for other animals are Ok as regular feeds for torts - some are only ok in moderation.

If my tort grazed naturally outdoors though I wouldn't use Readigrass until winter but he doesn't seem that interested - although he loves his dandies, clover and plantains. I am going to try to grow my own for winter again this year - left it too late last year so failed miserably.
Also don't know if you soak the Readigrass for them, but keep an eye out that any sharp bits aren't hurting their mouths.
Yeah all the flowers are ok to eat as I checked before I purchased, I didn't add water as thought it wouldn't be needed but I will next time, I only put a small amount out as they were eating in the garden all day. It's been warm in Liverpool 25 with little sunshine coming through the clouds.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yeah all the flowers are ok to eat as I checked before I purchased, I didn't add water as thought it wouldn't be needed but I will next time, I only put a small amount out as they were eating in the garden all day. It's been warm in Liverpool 25 with little sunshine coming through the clouds.
They may be fine without it but I have read somewhere here about soaking dried grass to soften it - or chop up into small pieces fro little mouths
It's been wet most of the morning in Wales, but quite sunny from about 4 so Lola is out enjoying some evening sun, totally ignores his grass though!

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Lyn W, yay I found another Welsh tort owner!
It's been horrible lately in UK hasn't it I havnt been able to get Tink outside in a few days, it has to be just the right temp for him otherwise he just buries himself and rain is a definite no for him!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's been horrible lately in UK hasn't it I havnt been able to get Tink outside in a few days, it has to be just the right temp for him otherwise he just buries himself and rain is a definite no for him!
Hi tinkerbell! There are a few of us Taffys or half Taffys about, - Delilah was here yesterday and Richabi but not heard from him for a while.
The weather has been rubbish for torts so my leopard hasn't been out much. Mind you he doesn't like being out much when its sunny - I think he has agoraphobia!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
What tort do you have I used to be North Wales, but moved to Liverpool.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
They may be fine without it but I have read somewhere here about soaking dried grass to soften it - or chop up into small pieces fro little mouths
It's been wet most of the morning in Wales, but quite sunny from about 4 so Lola is out enjoying some evening sun, totally ignores his grass though!
Hi Lyn,
Have you had any better weather down your way? mine are back in the garden and are actually eating grass, the way there going ill have to invest in a new lawn! i changed to a MVB in my vivarium and they seem to bask more now and stay in the area. I only have this on a few hours a day and then go back to CHE. hope your ok.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm half Welsh but live in a sunny place now.
My tort isn't Welsh though.