leopard tort. (light/UVB)

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
quick question, whats the difference between and MVB and UVB and which is best? i currently use 10% UVB 42" and is on from 5am till 7pm, but the little torts just want to sleep a lot but unsure if this is normal behaviour? there eating which is good, they have fresh water each day or when they go in it, but is it strange for them to sleep in the water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the main difference is MVB stands for Mercury Vapor Bulb. This is a type of light bulb that provides the necessary UVB for his calcium usage. UVB is a designation for the type of UV rays that come either from the sun or from a good UV light.

The MBV provides heat and UVB so you only need one fixture. Your tube type UV light only provides the necessary UVB with no heat, so you also need some sort of heat source.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Well, the main difference is MVB stands for Mercury Vapor Bulb. This is a type of light bulb that provides the necessary UVB for his calcium usage. UVB is a designation for the type of UV rays that come either from the sun or from a good UV light.

The MBV provides heat and UVB so you only need one fixture. Your tube type UV light only provides the necessary UVB with no heat, so you also need some sort of heat source.

I already have a a heat source and UVB but wonder which is better the UVB or MVB or is it preference? also i have noticed you know i great deal in tortoises! my leos tend to want to sleep a lot but once you move them from there hiding places they go straight to eat then water dish, then hide again, is this normal as in sleeping all the time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're not asking the right question. UVB and MVB are not the same thing. UVB is an ultra violet spectrum that floats around in space. MVB is an actual light bulb.

If you're asking, "which is better, a mercury vapor bulb or a tube-type fluorescent bulb?" Then I would understand your question better. Both those type bulbs provide the ultra violet B spectrum required for a healthy tortoise.

Make sure the habitat is warm enough. Babies tend to hide a lot because they are prey, however, they also need to be pretty warm all the time in order to see any activity out of them.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Torts need UVA, heat, and UVB. Regular light bulbs or ceramic heat emitters are popular choices for heat. Tubes or MVB bulbs both provide UVB. MVB bulbs provide heat as well.
What temps do you have in your enclosure? It needs to be warm enough for babies.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
You're not asking the right question. UVB and MVB are not the same thing. UVB is an ultra violet spectrum that floats around in space. MVB is an actual light bulb.

If you're asking, "which is better, a mercury vapor bulb or a tube-type fluorescent bulb?" Then I would understand your question better. Both those type bulbs provide the ultra violet B spectrum required for a healthy tortoise.

Make sure the habitat is warm enough. Babies tend to hide a lot because they are prey, however, they also need to be pretty warm all the time in order to see any activity out of them.

Ok i use a arcadia desert 10%+ UVB lamp 42" on a timer of 14hours, ok i have a 4ft vivarium till i make a new one which will be bigger in the garage, so would you tell me is these temps ok or do i need more temp,
Cooling part is 27-28c
basking spot is 100f

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Torts need UVA, heat, and UVB. Regular light bulbs or ceramic heat emitters are popular choices for heat. Tubes or MVB bulbs both provide UVB. MVB bulbs provide heat as well.
What temps do you have in your enclosure? It needs to be warm enough for babies.

I also use a habistat pulse thermostat with a ceramic heat emitter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Having 80F on the cool side seems a bit warm for an adult tortoise. It's ok for a baby. Your tube type UVB light is fine.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Having 80F on the cool side seems a bit warm for an adult tortoise. It's ok for a baby. Your tube type UVB light is fine.
ok the tortoise is 6 months old, so what temperatures shold i use then please? thanks for the reply and advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's fine for now, but start thinking about getting them into a safe outdoor habitat during the day (warm days).

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
That's fine for now, but start thinking about getting them into a safe outdoor habitat during the day (warm days).

Am trying but in the uk at the moment its raining and sometimes the temp is only 17c so i didn't think that would be warm enough?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is possible to get your tort outside in the UK. Use a temperature gun at ground level in a sheltered, sunny spot to see how hot it gets despite the ambient air temperature (which is shade)

I can see that I must write up the various adaptations that can be made to help UK torts go outside. I have been thinking about it for a while

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI David I have used MVB all winter as it provides heat, light and uv rays in one bulb.
At night I use a CHE on a thermostat to keep the temps even.
Now we are getting more sunny days and when it is warm enough at ground temp in my sheltered garden, I will change to just some sort of basking light when he is in as Lola will get the UVB naturally - weather permitting

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is possible to get your tort outside in the UK. Use a temperature gun at ground level in a sheltered, sunny spot to see how hot it gets despite the ambient air temperature (which is shade)

I can see that I must write up the various adaptations that can be made to help UK torts go outside. I have been thinking about it for a while
That's a great idea!

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
HI David I have used MVB all winter as it provides heat, light and uv rays in one bulb.
At night I use a CHE on a thermostat to keep the temps even.
Now we are getting more sunny days and when it is warm enough at ground temp in my sheltered garden, I will change to just some sort of basking light when he is in as Lola will get the UVB naturally - weather permitting

Hi Lyn,
What is a CHE? I seen it mentioned before? There all in the garden today as sunny here in Liverpool.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi David its a ceramic heat emitter - fits in a lamp holder like a bulb but just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep.
images
Mine is like this. Got mine from the Range for about £20 ish. The thermostat cost about £34 but stops it getting too hot or cold at night.

It was sunny here in Wales but looks as if rain on the way now but still very warm.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David its a ceramic heat emitter - fits in a lamp holder like a bulb but just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep.
images
Mine is like this. Got mine from the Range for about £20 ish. The thermostat cost about £34 but stops it getting too hot or cold at night.

It was sunny here in Wales but looks as if rain on the way now but still very warm.

Hiya,
Yes I already use this I thought it was that but thought be safe and ask, do you know the MVB how do you control the heat on that? Or am I ok to use the CHE all the time as I have a thermostat on this already.and at night when you use the CHE what temp you have for night time?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hiya,
Yes I already use this I thought it was that but thought be safe and ask, do you know the MVB how do you control the heat on that? Or am I ok to use the CHE all the time as I have a thermostat on this already.
I only use che at night but I suppose it would be OK as long as your torts get UV rays Someone more experienced will have to answer that.
My mvb is on all day while I am at work - no thermostat - just cool areas where they can get away from it if they need to. You should be able to get the 4 temps in their enclosure as mentioned in the caresheet or maybe previous posts.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I only use che at night but I suppose it would be OK as long as your torts get UV rays Someone more experienced will have to answer that.
My mvb is on all day while I am at work - no thermostat - just cool areas where they can get away from it if they need to. You should be able to get the 4 temps in their enclosure as mentioned in the caresheet or maybe previous posts.

Thanks, you really good for information, I do use a 42" 10+ Arcadia desert UVB tube as the lighting,
Also what make is your MVB?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, you really good for information, I do use a 42" 10+ Arcadia desert UVB tube as the lighting
I've not used a tube so don't know anything about them, but I'm sure someone will tell you if it s wrong - sounds as if it should be OK to me though

I'm not that good for info, only repeating what I've been told or read myself, didn't know a thing this time last year!!