leopard tort. (light/UVB)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
extremely warm then! bet the tortoise there loves the hot weather
Testudo graeca graeca come from here and another couple of sub species.
Still they try to sleep all day when it gets this hot, so I have to provide mine with lots of water, soaks and showers.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Testudo graeca graeca come from here and another couple of sub species.
Still they try to sleep all day when it gets this hot, so I have to provide mine with lots of water, soaks and showers.
How many tortoises do you have there then? is it easier to look after them there?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How many tortoises do you have there then? is it easier to look after them there?
I only have my little girl Tidgy, but I bother several other tortoise owners in the area with TFO approved husbandry methods and make sure they're ok.
Obviously the temps and humidity are easier to maintain here and the local weeds and greens are the correct diet, but it does get very hot in summer and quite cold in our short winter, so we still have work to do. And now all the countryside is baked brown yellow and dead, it's harder to find food, so I keep a food garden watered.
Also here you can't buy tortoise products so I have to go to Spain to get UVB's, coco coir, medicine etc.
There's no herp vets here either.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lyn,
Have you had any better weather down your way? mine are back in the garden and are actually eating grass, the way there going ill have to invest in a new lawn! i changed to a MVB in my vivarium and they seem to bask more now and stay in the area. I only have this on a few hours a day and then go back to CHE. hope your ok.
Hi David, I'm fine thanks.
Finished work today for nice long holiday so plenty of time to sort out an outdoor enclosure for Lola - if we get the weather! It has rained here every day this week, been quite warm and dried up a bit later in the day but certainly not middle of summer weather.

The MVB will be great when they can't get out on dull days. I have still used mine all day because of work so Lola is usually only able to get a short while outside in the late afternoons but should be able to cut back on that now I will be home more to put him out.
It has been great all winter for heat, light and uv rays when Lola is confined to his room (which also has a radiator so he's been very cosy).
I need extra sockets as his room is a disused shower room so none in there - just 1 outside. Hopefully though by next winter he will have a better purpose built home.
Hope all well with you.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hi David, I'm fine thanks.
Finished work today for nice long holiday so plenty of time to sort out an outdoor enclosure for Lola - if we get the weather! It has rained here every day this week, been quite warm and dried up a bit later in the day but certainly not middle of summer weather.

The MVB will be great when they can't get out on dull days. I have still used mine all day because of work so Lola is usually only able to get a short while outside in the late afternoons but should be able to cut back on that now I will be home more to put him out.
It has been great all winter for heat, light and uv rays when Lola is confined to his room (which also has a radiator so he's been very cosy).
I need extra sockets as his room is a disused shower room so none in there - just 1 outside. Hopefully though by next winter he will have a better purpose built home.
Hope all well with you.
Yeah its been very nice up in liverpool the last few days, so I've been building a enclosure for them in the garden as I've tried to grow some weeds where it will go but because there 6months i wasn't sure if they should stay out doors all day so I've been bringing them in after a couple of hours. is lola a he? i haven't named mine yet and am struggling to name them :(
Hopefully whilst your off we have a better summer as heard its meant to be getting warmer and sunny! Yeah i used the MVB as you mentioned it and was concerned with strip bulb but there still acting the same now, but there eating and making a mess walking the coco coir in there water dish every time i check ha.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I only have my little girl Tidgy, but I bother several other tortoise owners in the area with TFO approved husbandry methods and make sure they're ok.
Obviously the temps and humidity are easier to maintain here and the local weeds and greens are the correct diet, but it does get very hot in summer and quite cold in our short winter, so we still have work to do. And now all the countryside is baked brown yellow and dead, it's harder to find food, so I keep a food garden watered.
Also here you can't buy tortoise products so I have to go to Spain to get UVB's, coco coir, medicine etc.
There's no herp vets here either.

I thought it wouldn't be a lot easier where you are in few can't believe you have to travel to spain for your stuff that must be a nightmare!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I thought it wouldn't be a lot easier where you are in few can't believe you have to travel to spain for your stuff that must be a nightmare!
Not really.
I visit Spain 3 or 4 times a year to stock up on English products anyway.
It's cool.