leopard tortoise and tomatoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitho

5 Year Member
Hello all;

Since I registered I figured I would ask a question.

Our african leopard tort. is around 20 years old and is very healthy. We feed her squash, cucumbers, kale, and various lettuce and cabbages and she eats saint augustine grass in her pen.

We also give her a tomato every few days, which she loves to no end. Its always the first thing she will eat.

I know its a fruit and she is supposed to eat veggies. We used to have a red foot that loved tomatoes and she would take them from his pile so we kept giving them to her.

Do any of you think there is a problem, over the long run, with tomatoes?

(On a side note I had some wild box turtles and they actually fought over tomatoes like it was a drug. Some chases would develop where one of them would take a big chunk and try and run (ha ha) off with it while the some others would chase after him. always thought that was funny)

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We don't feed tomatoes because I have a deep seeded hatred for them. Slimy and gross!
In regards to your leopards, if it's a treat once in awhile you're fine. I wouldn't recommend feeding it regularly.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi Keith welcome to the forum can you post some pic's of your leo? What's her name? :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Az tortoise compound said:
We don't feed tomatoes because I have a deep seeded hatred for them. Slimy and gross!
In regards to your leopards, if it's a treat once in awhile you're fine. I wouldn't recommend feeding it regularly.

Mick hit it right on the head! Every tortoise (like every person) has its favorite treat...Once a week or so would be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.