Leopard tortoise growth

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone!

I just bought a baby leopard tortoise a couple of weeks ago, and I was just wondering about how fast should I expect it to grow. More specifically, how fast do you think it will grow over the next year or so. It hatched only about a month ago. He lives outside during the day when it is warm, and comes in at night as soon as the temperature outside begins to drop. Attached are some pictures of him and the outdoor enclosure. It is 4'x2' with a secure lid. As you can see, about 1/3 of the enclosure is darker wood where the lid is solid wood. This was from the previous tortoise that lived in here, I had a full wall and a hiding area, but it got too humid and cold during the day so I modified it. I am also planning on planting some succulents and/or grass in the sandy part of the enclosure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 51

Nisi

New York
He's very cute.. my guy is about 6 months old. How much does he weight?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I raised my leopard babies primarily indoors. I'd give them an hour or 2 outdoors but didn't keep them outside for 6+hrs-all day until they were much larger.
Housing them indoors in warm and humid conditions, I found that they grow very quickly.
I don't remember my leopard's weight at a year old but he was over 4"long. And at 2 years old he was 8" long and 3lbs or so.
Now at 4 years he is 12"+ and 10lbs.

He's lived outdoors full time since turning 2 but I think the indoor living while small, made a difference for him.
Others who have housed their leopards the same as I did, have had similar results.

Southern California
I raised my leopard babies primarily indoors. I'd give them an hour or 2 outdoors but didn't keep them outside for 6+hrs-all day until they were much larger.
Housing them indoors in warm and humid conditions, I found that they grow very quickly.
I don't remember my leopard's weight at a year old but he was over 4"long. And at 2 years old he was 8" long and 3lbs or so.
Now at 4 years he is 12"+ and 10lbs.

He's lived outdoors full time since turning 2 but I think the indoor living while small, made a difference for him.
Others who have housed their leopards the same as I did, have had similar results.
Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Southern California
Outside all day is not good for babies. One noticeable effect is a lack of growth.

Where are you?

Babies need it warm and humid.

Sand is another big no no. It is an impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Growth rates can vary tremendously and for a wide variety of reasons.
I am in southern California, but his primary habitat is indoors where it is constantly around 80 degrees and 50-60% humidity. The reason that he has been outdoors all day for the past couple days is because we just had a large heat wave in the low-mid eighties. He is now predominately indoors. The sand section was for my precious adult tortoise and was mixed with coconut coir. Now it is planted with grass and plants. The sand area was also blocked because I knew the risk of impaction and other health issues. Thank you!

Southern California
Outside all day is not good for babies. One noticeable effect is a lack of growth.

Where are you?

Babies need it warm and humid.

Sand is another big no no. It is an impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Growth rates can vary tremendously and for a wide variety of reasons.
Sorry, I forgot to add that the ambient temperature in the indoor enclosure is around 80 while the basking spot is low-mid 90s

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in southern California, but his primary habitat is indoors where it is constantly around 80 degrees and 50-60% humidity. The reason that he has been outdoors all day for the past couple days is because we just had a large heat wave in the low-mid eighties. He is now predominately indoors. The sand section was for my precious adult tortoise and was mixed with coconut coir. Now it is planted with grass and plants. The sand area was also blocked because I knew the risk of impaction and other health issues. Thank you!

Do you want me to explain further, or would you like me to leave you be?

Southern California
Do you want me to explain further, or would you like me to leave you be?
Sorry, I think there was misunderstanding. The sand was for my previous, not precious, adult tortoise (typo). The sandy looking area is no longer a sandy area, but entirely sod (no pesticides and such). There are also edible plants. The baby tortoise spends all time indoors except for a couple of hours on nice, sunny days. The indoor enclosure is properly suited to fit his needs (correct temperature, humidity, basking spot, diet, etc.). Sorry for the confusing wording earlier.