Leopard tortoise help

GiovanniTorTellini

Location (City and/or State)
Andrews
I got a baby leopard tortoise from a repticon May 7th 2022. They lied and said he wasn't a hatchling he doesn't get big blah blah. When I found him he was eating iceberg lettuce. It turned more into a rescue mission if anything else. I've always wanted a tortoise so I got him. Now I'm petrified I'm not doing things properly by reading other peoples weights on their babies. I want to make sure he has the best life possible and I do everything correctly and google just gives me so many mixed answers. I'd really appreciate it if someone professional with leopard tortoises could please give me advice and tips on how to make his life perfect. I don't want him to pass away or be suffering and me not realise. I'm doing the best I can with the information I've read but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly! And advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 🖤

Kansas
I got a baby leopard tortoise from a repticon May 7th 2022. They lied and said he wasn't a hatchling he doesn't get big blah blah. When I found him he was eating iceberg lettuce. It turned more into a rescue mission if anything else. I've always wanted a tortoise so I got him. Now I'm petrified I'm not doing things properly by reading other peoples weights on their babies. I want to make sure he has the best life possible and I do everything correctly and google just gives me so many mixed answers. I'd really appreciate it if someone professional with leopard tortoises could please give me advice and tips on how to make his life perfect. I don't want him to pass away or be suffering and me not realise. I'm doing the best I can with the information I've read but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly! And advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 🖤
Welcome to the forum. Here's a guide by @Tom. I hope your tortoise lives a long life 🙂 https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the link given above and follow it. Your baby needs an enclosed enclosure with humidity at 80% temps no lower then 80 day and night and a basking area of 95-100. Coconut coir and/or orchid bark for substrate. Do not use coil type bulbs or mercury vapor bulbs. Tube florescent for uvb, ceramic heat emitter s for night heat and day if needed and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Daily warm water soaks for 20-30 minutes for hydration.
Diet can not be just lettuce.
Forget what the breeder told you or what you read on the internet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
More info here too:

We will help all that we can. What is the baby's weight now?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum! You have found the right place to ensure the best possible outcome for your little one. Follow the advice here. Send pictures if you can.

GiovanniTorTellini

Andrews
Read the link given above and follow it. Your baby needs an enclosed enclosure with humidity at 80% temps no lower then 80 day and night and a basking area of 95-100. Coconut coir and/or orchid bark for substrate. Do not use coil type bulbs or mercury vapor bulbs. Tube florescent for uvb, ceramic heat emitter s for night heat and day if needed and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Daily warm water soaks for 20-30 minutes for hydration.
I'm definitely following this and the link I was sent. I have everything in his habitat exactly this way. He just isnt growing and I feel like 85g is super small compared to others I've seen. But I dont know his age so that makes it harder to gauge.

GiovanniTorTellini

Andrews
I'm definitely following this and the link I was sent. I have everything in his habitat exactly this way. He just isnt growing and I feel like 85g is super small compared to others I've seen. But I dont know his ave
More info here too:

We will help all that we can. What is the baby's weight now?
85g before eating

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm definitely following this and the link I was sent. I have everything in his habitat exactly this way. He just isnt growing and I feel like 85g is super small compared to others I've seen. But I dont know his ave

85g before eating
85 grams is small, but that is past the danger zone, so he should survive. If the baby wasn't started optimally and it wasn't housed well initially, then they do tend to grow slower for a while at first.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Would you post a picture of your tortoise? I have a leopard tortoise too.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Your tortoise has growth lines. So that is great. What is his/her name?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
And yes I've noticed his shell growing but recently found out it's called pyramiding due to me not keeping him in a humid environment. I've taken everyone's advice and got it down to a T so far. I'm hoping he can recover from my lack of knowledge.
Growth lines are not pyramiding. They are a sign of shell growth including normal she'll growth. So I have learned here.

Reactions: Ink

GiovanniTorTellini

Andrews
Growth lines are not pyramiding. They are a sign of shell growth including normal she'll growth. So I have learned here.
Oh really? Well that's awesome to know, I thought it was from pyramiding. That does make me feel alot better about the situation.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you follow those care sheets your little guy will have the best possible chance to grow and thrive.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
You may already have seen this in Tom's 'Info for new people' thread but just in case this is the caresheet you need.
The CHE Wellington suggested for night heat should be run through a thermostat so that it doesn't overheat your tort.
A terracotta plant saucer would be easier and safer for him to access and exit.