Leopard tortoise substrate depth

cupuente18

I was wondering how deep should the substrate be in my wooden indoor enclosure for my baby leopard tortoise and what they like to do. Do they like to dig? Climb? I know the Sulcata's like to dig but i am not too sure about the leopards.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Leopards don't do much digging. Mine will settle under a bush then smoosh back and forth, back and forth nestling down into a depression they make. I think a good substrate depth for a baby would be about 4 to 6 inches.

myk

London ontario
What about a outdoor enclosure. ,how deep should I build underground barriers so they can't tunnel out?I see a guy just lost his, look like sulculta,,,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering how deep should the substrate be in my wooden indoor enclosure for my baby leopard tortoise and what they like to do. Do they like to dig? Climb? I know the Sulcata's like to dig but i am not too sure about the leopards.
I prefer 3 to 4 inches of fine grade orchid bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about a outdoor enclosure. ,how deep should I build underground barriers so they can't tunnel out?I see a guy just lost his, look like sulculta,,,
Leopards don't dig, and sulcatas can burrow, but they don't tunnel out either. When they dig a burrow it goes down at about a 30-40 degree angle and that's it. Just the one tunnel. They don't dig down and then back up are a different angle that would pu them outside the wall. No need for underground barriers for any species other than Russians.