Leopard Tortoise Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lithium

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orem Utah
I'm getting a leopard tortoise in october and I was wondering what would I need to properly keep one? I have a 40 gallon breeder tanks with a screen lid, a light fixture and a 10.0 UVB bulb, I have a basking fixture. I'll put cardboard or paper around the edge so he can't see out. The only things I need are a water bowl, substrate, and hides.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) I would get rid of that light and get a Power sun MVB what will you be getting for substrate?

Lithium

5 Year Member
Orem Utah
I was thinking about using potting soil without fertilizer.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Bag of Mazuri, calcium carbonate, thermometer, CHE or other nighttime heat source...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi LeopardTortoiseFreak:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If your tank is in a fairly warm area, a 60watt might be enough. They throw a lot of heat.
LeopardTortoiseFreak said:
How many watts should the CHE be?

Potting soil usually has a lot of additives like perlite and vermiculite or those little styrofoam balls, or fertilizer balls which might be eaten. Top soil is a better choice. Since you don't need a huge amount, maybe you can just dig some from your yard.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Jayden and welcome to the forum. Glad you are planning everything in advance so your enclosure will be ready when your tortoise arrives...

Lithium

5 Year Member
Orem Utah
Ok, so I think I have everything planned. I'll use potting soil without fertilizer or zoo med eco earth for substrate, an upsider down cat litter box or dishwashing bin for a hide, one of those things you put under planters (forgot what their called) for a water bowl, a powersun uv for UVB and daytime heat, and a red night bulb for night heat. Is there anything else I need, or did I get it all?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Are you getting a hatchling if so I would get something smaller for a hide like a tupper ware bowl for now the upside down litter box would take up to much room in a 40 gal tank pluse you want the tort to fell secure in the hide :)

Lithium

5 Year Member
Orem Utah
Ok, so i'll use eco earth for the substrate and i'll try to find a tubaware or something to use as the hide. Most of the tubawares I have are either made out of glass or they are clear, so i'll check at my local wal-mart.

Lithium

5 Year Member
Orem Utah
Ok, thanks. I have oe more question though. Will he be fine with my cats staring at him or pawing at the glass?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO. You could also use an upside down planter with a hole or a planter on it's side half buried for a hide, just a thought :) You cats will probably not bother him too much, mine lost interest pretty quickly.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It might stress him out if he can see the cats trying to get at him all day. If you use a visual barrier as you said you were planning on doing...your cats should leave him alone.

Make sure they can't jump on top of or inside his enclosure. They can knock lamps in the tank and start fires by jumping on the top.

Lithium

5 Year Member
Orem Utah
They can't jump on the tank, they probably could get up on it but I yell at them whenever they jump on a tank. And the lamps will be clamped on a shelf above the tank.

What size hide would work best, 7" x 5" x 3" or 13" x 8" x 5"? If the first one is too short i'll dig a hole and put it on top of the hole.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
LeopardTortoiseFreak said:
They can't jump on the tank, they probably could get up on it but I yell at them whenever they jump on a tank. And the lamps will be clamped on a shelf above the tank.

What size hide would work best, 7" x 5" x 3" or 13" x 8" x 5"? If the first one is too short i'll dig a hole and put it on top of the hole.

Depends on how big the tort is I would get a 7x5 for a hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.