Leopard tortoise

samswyr

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Ok so I need help. My Exotic vet isn’t open for the next few days and I’m freaking myself out. When I purchased my tortoise back in February/March, I did a lot of research on how to care for baby leopard tortoises. Because it’s a baby I kept everything basically bare: just food/water bowls, a hide, and the substrate. My tortoise was doing really well. I wasn’t home the last two days and when I got home today, my fiancé informed me that the tortoise hadn’t moved, eaten, or went in the water. That it had stayed in its shell, in one spot. And that when he picked it up, it’s shell felt soft now. I then held it and I felt it too, the shell was a bit soft. Diet has always been lettuce, the pellets you soak in water, the little fruit/veggie cube things, and the occasional berry. It has a basking and UV light for the lighting. It’s only on during day time hours. Is my tortoise dead??????
here’s some pictures my fiancé took of the tortoise

Attachments

• CA55BEB2-8340-4236-9812-E32A03097F6E.jpeg
    CA55BEB2-8340-4236-9812-E32A03097F6E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 5E64E960-E39B-4FBD-912F-241EDD64A802.jpeg
    5E64E960-E39B-4FBD-912F-241EDD64A802.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 113

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Something in the plastron doesn’t look Right. Seems like your tortoise is dead.
Try soaking in lukewarm water for 20 Minutes.
You started your tortoise Bad.

Ps: I’m pretty sure it’s Dead.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok so I need help. My Exotic vet isn’t open for the next few days and I’m freaking myself out. When I purchased my tortoise back in February/March, I did a lot of research on how to care for baby leopard tortoises. Because it’s a baby I kept everything basically bare: just food/water bowls, a hide, and the substrate. My tortoise was doing really well. I wasn’t home the last two days and when I got home today, my fiancé informed me that the tortoise hadn’t moved, eaten, or went in the water. That it had stayed in its shell, in one spot. And that when he picked it up, it’s shell felt soft now. I then held it and I felt it too, the shell was a bit soft. Diet has always been lettuce, the pellets you soak in water, the little fruit/veggie cube things, and the occasional berry. It has a basking and UV light for the lighting. It’s only on during day time hours. Is my tortoise dead??????
Unfortunately thats all really bad care info you got... they should never have fruit at all and need way better things than lettuce and there should always be heat, even at night. It should be very be cooler than 80° and no lower than 80° humidity.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I don’t think it’s due to thin plastron, no such thing as that. Possibly septicemia?
There is another feed with a similar plastron. Maybe thinned isn't the right word, but it looks alot like that other baby in that feed and that's what was decided I believe. The organs were failing and were visible through it.

samswyr

Florida
There is another feed with a similar plastron. Maybe thinned isn't the right word, but it looks alot like that other baby in that feed and that's what was decided I believe. The organs were failing and were visible through it.
What feed was that?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Wow that tortoise looks really bad. You can also see a prominence if you look closely.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
What feed was that?
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it or anything as I didn't have any input i could give them. More experienced keepers had already addressed all the issues they could. No use having me pitch in ? they should remember what was talked about as I just did a quick read of it.

I'll poke them and see if they can remember.
@Yvonne G @Tom

Steph#26

Derby
Hey i just read the fread you was talking about i dont no how to link but it was called ,( What's the bluish coloration for?)
If it helps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unfortunately, most people start this species all wrong after hatching, and then it gets worse from there. These same people tell other people (you) how to care for the baby tortoise, and it just keeps going downhill from there.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to save this baby, but if you want to get another one, buy from the right source. A breeder who starts them correctly. We'll help you find one if needed. Then care for it like this:

samswyr

Florida
Unfortunately, most people start this species all wrong after hatching, and then it gets worse from there. These same people tell other people (you) how to care for the baby tortoise, and it just keeps going downhill from there.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to save this baby, but if you want to get another one, buy from the right source. A breeder who starts them correctly. We'll help you find one if needed. Then care for it like this:
Thank you so much, I had gotten him/her at Repticon and given information right then on the basic care so while I walked around I was looking up different websites and they all said the same thing as what the guy told me so I did it and everything seems fine until now :( I tried soaking as someone mentioned above and no change, it doesn’t even move its legs when touched. My fiancé is giving it until tomorrow to see if it moves at all and if not he’s gonna bury it :(

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you so much, I had gotten him/her at Repticon and given information right then on the basic care so while I walked around I was looking up different websites and they all said the same thing as what the guy told me so I did it and everything seems fine until now :( I tried soaking as someone mentioned above and no change, it doesn’t even move its legs when touched. My fiancé is giving it until tomorrow to see if it moves at all and if not he’s gonna bury it :(

I am so sorry. I wish we had better news for you ? like Tom said, if you decide to get another one, that care sheet he posted is amazing. Leopards are great and i hope one day you will have another one in your life.

samswyr

Florida
I am so sorry. I wish we had better news for you ? like Tom said, if you decide to get another one, that care sheet he posted is amazing. Leopards are great and i hope one day you will have another one in your life.
This was my first tortoise, and I’ve never had a reptile/pet die this young on me (always passed of old age) so this freaked me out and I kept trying all the exotic vets near me and either got answer machine because their hours weren’t updated online or they’re only open like 3 days a week because of corona. My fiancé wants to get another tortoise but one that’s a bit older instead of being so young since he also feels that might’ve played a part but not sure. Hopefully down the road :( I also just ordered so much stuff off amazon for him/her

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
So sorry for your loss, take care. ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
This was my first tortoise, and I’ve never had a reptile/pet die this young on me (always passed of old age) so this freaked me out and I kept trying all the exotic vets near me and either got answer machine because their hours weren’t updated online or they’re only open like 3 days a week because of corona. My fiancé wants to get another tortoise but one that’s a bit older instead of being so young since he also feels that might’ve played a part but not sure. Hopefully down the road :( I also just ordered so much stuff off amazon for him/her

I think the main part is just finding a better breeder. Now you are armed with a place you can get real answers and learn the best way to keep a baby happy and healthy. There are plenty of great breeders on here that follow that care sheet from day 1 for whenever you might be ready to try again. If you need any help, reach out to us

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am sorry for your loss. Maybe get a well started baby from someone on the forum when and if you are ready.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am so sorry this has happened to you and your little baby. I hope in time you will try again, now that you have the correct information.