Leopards, or other species for first species?

DragoLikesReptiles

Hello, I am very new to the forum, and I was looking around for a first tortoise (own other reptiles), and thought about leopards. I don't know if a leopard would do well in a Suburban Los Angeles (where I live), that can get to 50 F at night and about 100 F in the day outside. Would this be OK for one of them, or is there another species that would work better? Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Russians, Hermanns and Greeks are usually the best first tortoise. However, if your liking the leopard, read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising and housing.

DragoLikesReptiles

Hello and Welcome:). Russians, Hermanns and Greeks are usually the best first tortoise. However, if your liking the leopard, read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising and housing.
Wow, thanks for replying so quickly! I will look at the posts! Will leopards do well in Socal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, thanks for replying so quickly! I will look at the posts! Will leopards do well in Socal?

I'm not real familiar with your weather, but I'm sure they would do just fine. It all depends on what your willing to do, to make the proper environment. As a hatchling, raise it as Toms threads read, closed chamber. Once it is large enough to keep outside 24/7, then you would do a heated night box, heat when needed. Tom also has threads on building the box too for leopards and Sulcatas. Btw, Tom live in Cali, but closer to LA, if that helps at all. Also, there are many other members all over Cali with leopards, sulcatas and many more.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Glad we have you here! ! !

rkelleh

Hanford, California
I live in central valley CA so I understand your worries with the weather especially having lived in LA area for 12 years prior. I read the care sheets as Wellington suggested for you. There is a lot of great info on what their needs are. I am sure you can create the right environment for a Leopard in your area however the only concern would be space for outside when they get bigger. I know LA is limited in several areas for yard space and that is what I would analyze before making a decision on a tort that gets a decent size. It is easier on space when they are smaller however a few years down the road is what you will need to look at. Hopefully this helps you a bit. Best of luck to you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum.
I would recommend greeks, because I love them best.
Bit biased though.
Seriuously, I understand greeks are a good starter tortoise.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
A Greek was my first tortoise as well. Greeks or Hermanns are great starter torts so long as you get them captive bred from a breeder (which isn't to say you can't get a good animal from another source; some of us are luckier than others; but the best source is a breeder; Chris and Gary spring to mind). Margies are also great, though they do get pretty big, thus requiring spacious enclosures. All of these species usually tolerate some of the initial mishandling that comes with being a new owner much better than any of the tropical species, which can die very easily in the unnatural climate in which the majority of us reside. The size is also a problem that I think most beginners are ill equipped to understand. A large tortoise requires a large enclosure, and many first time tortoise owners are not prepared for the monumental task that comes with owning a large and powerful tortoise. I acquired my sulcata Jerry (God rest him) being comparatively ignorant of his requirements. Luckily, during the time I had him, San Antonio was a rather warm and humid place, and my keeping him outdoors actually benefited him to a greater degree than the desert terrarium I used to keep him inside during inclement weather. I had no idea how big this tortoise was going to be. I mean, I'd read the books, and the books discuss the animal's ultimate dimensions. What they don't explain is that the tortoise will have no problem pushing through a wall of cinder blocks should he so desire, that he can dig a tunnel under a shed or other such building and cause an expensive bit of damage. Leopards aren't as destructive as this, I find, but they do maintain many similar habits. And if they get cold, they catch cold. Hermanns and Greeks are much more adept at sustaining moderate shifts in temperature, though even they have their limits. Those limits simply aren't as narrow as they are with the tropical torts.

T.G.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grew up in L.A. and now live just North of there in Santa Clarita. I still go down into L.A. for work all the time though.

A leopard will do very well for you there. The best strategy is to have both an indoor enclosure and an outdoor enclosure. Babies need to spend most of their days indoors, but you can put them outside in a safe enclosure for an hour a day or so. As they get larger you can put them outside for longer and longer during fair weather, but bring them inside for colder days and nights. Once they reach adult size, you just build them a heated, closable night box and leave them outside full time.

Read these for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

And for when they get big enough to live outside full time:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/