Leos kept together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjet86

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I know it's been said that you shouldn't keep 2 leos together but my one Leo is very lazy... Doesn't seem excited for food, and just sits in his log all day. He will roam around maybe once a day but I'm just worried that he's not growing or eating enough. Would it be wise to add a friend to creat sone food compitition? I have a very large rabbit enclosure for him so there will be enough room for another. Should I get one slightly bigger or same size? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
[/align]

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I have 3 together, they all sleep together and are like a mini herd.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It could go well if you add one or it could go badly. Lots of people house them together, but many end up having to separate them eventually.

How old/big is your Leopard? Is it housed indoors or outdoors in the large rabbit enclosure? What are your temps?

It could just be a normal Leopard doing normal Leopard things. A lot of Leopard keepers refer to them as pretty rocks, because they sit around a lot.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Here is the biggest question -

If you get another, and if it goes bad, do you have the space and resources to house a second large tortoise?

If the answer is yes, then it is probably fine. But you still need to quarantine the new tortoise from the one you already have, which could be a span of months.

I think your leopard is most likely perfectly okay. If he is that laid back, and you get a second that is a spit fire, it may cause him a LOT of stess.

superjet86

10 Year Member!
im just worried... hes over a year and a half old and is not growing much. he gets fed a lot and just seems to be growing very slowly. he has some growth rings around his shell and its starting to look a bit uneven. is that normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We'll need some more info and pics. I'm not sure what you mean by "uneven". Do you mean pyramiding? How are you housing him? What are your temps, substrate, enclosure size, indoors or out, etc...

Happy to help, but need more details to be able to do so intelligently.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
so were were worried he had herpes before.. how did that work out?
Did you take him to the vet?

Until you get a answer about the growths on his tail end you dont want to get another tot

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can see a new DVD "when good leo's go bad"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I heard that someone added a new leopard to his existing group and he lost all of them. I believe it was the herpes virus.

Before I adopted out my males and two of the females, I had two males and four females in the same pen. It was a nice, large pen with lots of grass and sight barriers. I never had any trouble keeping them all together. Never saw any pushing and shoving or fighting.

Now I have two adult females and one four year old in the same pen. The largest female occasionally will push the next to largest one around a bit, but its just a dominance thing. There's no real aggression to it.

I think you have to go on a case-by-case deal. Try it and keep a close watch on them. And ALWAYS quarantine new animals.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have three leos together with no problems at all. They usually spend time together, then go do their own thing and come back together at night to sleep. I keep an eye on them, but so far I have had no problems at all.[/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.