Leos out in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm new to Leopards and still learning about their care. The lady who gave them to me kept them outside year round (they had a wooden box with a Kane heat mat, we live in So Cal, and they are all adults.) Now they are living in my yard in a rubbermade deck box and a Kane heating mat. So far so good. Today it is raining, but not hard, so I opened their door so they could come out if they wanted to. Now they are out in the rain, walking around and grazing. Are they going to be okay with this? They usually go back to deckbox on their own, but I'm concerned about them being wet as it gets cooler tonight. Any thoughts?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like they are older, possibly adults?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, an older or adult tortoise usually knows what's best for itself. It sounds like they know what their hide box is for. As long as they can get their bodies to the temperatures they need, then there should be nothing to worry about.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that I would be worried as well....I believe that I would do only one change...I would add a heating element from over head...perhaps a red heat lamp or CHE...the only reason I would do this is the kane mat is a great warming source but it does not generate the amount and type of heat to offer a drying affect...you know?

I do not keep Leopards (not yest anyway...they are fricken awesome) but I am strictly basing my opinion on how heat is generated...and a warming mat is great for warming but not so great for the type of heating required to dry.....IMHO :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm in total agreeance with Angela on this...they definitely need heat from above...the point being that 'bottom' heating only serves that one purpose, but if you have heat radiating from above...you get the total desired effect...the carapace is warmed (which is of primary importance) and residual heat can warm your floor surface.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would also not worry, but I would also add the over head heating to help dry them off. But if they are adults they are probably use to it having lived outside year around..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
How do I go about hanging a light from the inside top of the deck box?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have one of those Zilla aquarium type hoods that came with my Hermanns and it works very good and its more compact than a regular hood light. Not sure if that is an option or not...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have a picture of your deckbox? Maybe we could give you some ideas.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Since those rubbermade boxes are hollow with a jap inbetween the layers, I would drill a few small holes and run wire through them and then secure the light to the wire. Just make sure not to drill through the outer layer. We purchased a bigger rubbermade shed and thats what we were gonna do before we decided to build a wooden house so we could have better insulation..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thanks everyone! One more thing ... should I put the lamp directly over the heat mat, or in the middle of the deck box (so some of the heat is over the mat and some over just plywood?)

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I keep my Leo's indoors on cold days.... today was in the 40's. I need to get a kane mat. I went to Walmart this morning to buy a flood light and saw 250W Red Heat bulb for 8 bucks! Would this be too hot for a Dogloo? with plastics flaps and a kane heat mat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcatas sometimes come out in the cold rain, even at night. I don't let them sleep outside, I put them back in.

I used rubber coated coffee cup holders to attach my CHEs to my rubbermade shed. Yo just screw them into an area of thick plastic (more to ward the edges of the panels vs. the hollow thinner portions in the middle) overhead and hang the lamps by the cords. I used zip ties to hold the cord to the hook so that it could not come off or slide down any lower than where I wanted it to be.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly, that is an ever better, safer idea.

... and your little video is slowing my already slow computer... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.