Lets have a party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
The Russians munching down on their bi-weekly organic greens.
They want a party!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks like they are having a party! Great pic.

Yes, tell us more about your torts and their enclosure.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Now they are six. One is separated though for the next six months. Ratio is 3males 2 females. Newest is male as well. 4.2.
Out door pen is behind our garden shed. Minimum is 8'x20' but its an irregular shape so it's actually much larger on the other end with a zig that makes it something of an old English capital L.
The substrate is crushed 1"-3" gravel and regular soil. I bring them all in at night. We have all manner of predators out here from mice to cougars and every size in between.
Each evening, I go out and gather them from their half made burrows. The digging on the gravel as well as compacted clay/soil helps keep the nails trimmed. I've found that often with rescued tortoises the toenails are very long from being kept on substrate that offers no resistance or abrasions to naturally ware them down.
This year it was self planted whereas next year I will deliberately plant the area.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like a wonderful enclosure.

Do you find the male:female ratio is hard on the females?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Truthfully, outside the males seem to pester each other more than bothering the females. I'm lucky in that I get to spend a lot of time with them and if one gets too aggressive I'll pull him out for a 1-1/2 hr “timeout" and that usually does the trick. I do have 1 male that I call, “Humpy" for obvious reasons, and in the spring when we have mild days with rain, he's a machine.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Cowboy_Ken said:
Truthfully, outside the males seem to pester each other more than bothering the females. I'm lucky in that I get to spend a lot of time with them and if one gets too aggressive I'll pull him out for a 1-1/2 hr “timeout" and that usually does the trick. I do have 1 male that I call, “Humpy" for obvious reasons, and in the spring when we have mild days with rain, he's a machine.

How nice that you get to hang out with them. Can't think of anything nicer!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Its wonderful to see so many Russians side by side without biting and harassing each other. :)

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Nice group picture..Some huge females i see in there.Have they laid for you?If so how many clutchs per year for each female?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I love that picture, you should submit it for the calendar in november.

Status
Not open for further replies.