Lettuce Question

Memes_are_good

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
My dad says that my Sulcata Tortoise can eat lettuce. But I googled it and google said that you shouldn't feed lettuce to a Sulcata as much as you would with kale. So I'm VERY confused

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hi and welcome! Stay off google.. you’ll find a lot of old wrong care guides on there. Heres a thread to read through and come back with any questions.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Instead of plain old regular nutrient free “bib lettuce” - try feeding romaine or raddichio. Occasional kale & even spinach are fine as well. Remember - variety is the spice of life & good health for a tortoise. Grass, weeds, dandelions, grape leaves, banana leaves, hibiscus leaves & flowers, mulberry, plantain (weeds not the fruit), are all good. Grass, grass and more grass too.

Can you feed regular lettuce? Sure, but there’s no nutritional value.

Chubbs linked you some good info. Lots of info here on TFO.

Good Luck.

ps - how old/large is your Sully? Live inside or outside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My dad says that my Sulcata Tortoise can eat lettuce. But I googled it and google said that you shouldn't feed lettuce to a Sulcata as much as you would with kale. So I'm VERY confused
Neither lettuce nor kale is a good staple food for tortoises. Grasses, weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents should be the diet. You've got tons of all of the above in GA most of the year. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Mix in kale, collards, turnip greens, cilantro, arugula, etc... for variety, add some dried leaves from Kapidolo Farms, soaked grass hay pellets, ZooMed tortoise chow, etc...

All of this is explained in detail in the care sheet that Chubbs linked for you.