Levi the leopard- living in Oregon

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Levi has now lived in Oregon for a full year and enjoys this warm southern Oregon weather! Locals say we had a very dry and warm winter, followed by an early/extra hot summer. Hey, works for us SoCal folks, haha.

He lives outside full time with the entire yard to himself and his awesome heated tort house. I built a mini version of Tom's best night box. 2 years up and running and I love it!

Levi is only 3 years and 4 months old and I weighed him today, almost 7lbs! WOW that surprised me. I need to measure him now...he had stalled at the 10" mark but maybe he's grown.

Not the best photos...I was in a hurry. I'll take some better ones tomorrow!

2015-08-24_17.57.55.jpg

2015-08-24_17.58.46.jpg

2015-07-08_15.31.54.jpg

2015-07-08_15.28.17.jpg

Most Oregonians think I'm really weird for having a pet tortoise...LOL

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I thought you were going for the echo effect

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No... Can you fix it? Please?

I can't figure out why but every thread I create doubles the last word. So frustrating!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you all seem to be loving it there. He's looking good. I'm so bad at weighing and measuring:(
Hey, did you hear, my Tatum might be a daddy:D
Hope you have another easy winter, but keep your eyes open, those nasty winters like to sneak in:eek:
Btw, I thought we were all nuts:confused: that's what is mostly heard in my non tortoise world too:mad:. They just don't know it, they are the nuts not us:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Levi is a lot darker than I had wanted. I am a sucker for the light colored Leos! But eh...I guess I'll keep him anyway... (kidding kidding!)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am up in Eugene and I have a redfoot who is similar in size. My boyfriend and I were talking today about how we need to build him a box for the cooler nights that are already starting. Yours looks great!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The promised updated photos:

Crocs, the best garden shoes ever...
0825151333e-1.jpg

Wanting to investigate the camera. He's not as clean as he used to be...living outdoors does that I guess ;)
0825151333b.jpg

Needs the next size dish!
0825151334c.jpg

Heading to his favorite spot under the bushes
0825151337e.jpg

Cjo

Levi has now lived in Oregon for a full year and enjoys this warm southern Oregon weather! Locals say we had a very dry and warm winter, followed by an early/extra hot summer. Hey, works for us SoCal folks, haha.

He lives outside full time with the entire yard to himself and his awesome heated tort house. I built a mini version of Tom's best night box. 2 years up and running and I love it!

Levi is only 3 years and 4 months old and I weighed him today, almost 7lbs! WOW that surprised me. I need to measure him now...he had stalled at the 10" mark but maybe he's grown.

Not the best photos...I was in a hurry. I'll take some better ones tomorrow!

View attachment 145265

View attachment 145266

View attachment 145267

View attachment 145268

Most Oregonians think I'm really weird for having a pet tortoise...LOL

I have a leopard tortoise who is 15 (almost 16) and has lived in Oregon all his life. He comes in in the Fall,when it gets cold outside, and then has the run of the house until nighttime when he goes to his heated area. Rocky isn't as big as your tortoise, coming in at about 11 pounds, but I suspect his previous owner (until the age of 4) did not feed him well. He is my only tortoise, and I thought about getting a female, but I don't want any fights between them! Is that a good idea? He
butts my feet, my hips, if I am working on the yard. Which is why I was considering a female. I have an 18 year old Lhasa, who is blind, who mothered Rocky when I first got him, until she got too old.
She even found him whenever I would say, "Where's Rocky? . She would go right to him! Now he doesn't have the run of the whole yard, just about 1/3 of it. Rocky has a chip installed, and sees the vet regularly. He is a very pampered tortoise! Is his weight to low?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a leopard tortoise who is 15 (almost 16) and has lived in Oregon all his life. He comes in when it gets cold outside, and then has the run of the house until nighttime when he goes to his heated area. Rocky isn't as big as your tortoise, coming in at about 11 pounds, but I suspect his previous owner (until the age of 4) did not feed him well. He is my only tortoise, and I thought about getting a female, but I don't want any fights between them! Is that a good idea? He
butts my feet, my hips, if I am working on the yard. Which is why I was considering a female. I have an 18 year old Lhasa, who is blind, who mothered Rocky when I first got him, until she got too old.
She even found him whenever I would say, "Where's Rocky? . She would go right to him! Now he doesn't have the run of the whole yard, just about 1/3 of it. Rocky has a chip installed, and sees the vet regularly. He is a very pampered tortoise! Is his weight to low?

A pair is not a good idea, even in leopards. My male and female are kept seperate. The male mates with her every day and then I find him on his back, a couple times so far. When it's mating time, the male can pester the female into illness or possible death and if she is an aggressive female, she could possibly hurt your male. A group of females to one male is the only safe way, or keeping one of each seperate, unless putting them together for a short time to breed.

Cjo

A pair is not a good idea, even in leopards. My male and female are kept seperate. The male mates with her every day and then I find him on his back, a couple times so far. When it's mating time, the male can pester the female into illness or possible death and if she is an aggressive female, she could possibly hurt your male. A group of females to one male is the only safe way, or keeping one of each seperate, unless putting them together for a short time to breed.

Cjo

Thanks, I don't think I will get a female then. He doesn't seem lonely, except butting me all the time. Don't think I want to have another one I have to keep separate. It would be for Rocky, after all. Any thoughts on his weight being so much smaller than Levi?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm so happy that Levi and your nice family are doing so well in Oregon!
He looks fabulous and looks quite happy in the yard.
We still miss you!
:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi Cjo,
My leopard was raised his first year in a hot and humid environment. I did my best to recreate the monsoon season in Africa that a wild leopard would naturally hatch into. It's been my observation (and many others) that the adequate hydration early in life sets them on a good growth pattern. Unfortunately, many leopards suffer from chronic dehydration in their early years and if it doesn't kill them, it stunts their growth.
I don't know you or your specific situation but I'd assume the size and weight differences are more related to hydration than diet.

I've never allowed Levi to roam the house. He's always had his own tortoise specific area. Closed chambers, secure outdoor pens and now the yard with a tort house. Even during winter he's still outside. He just spends most of the time in his 80°F tort house ;). Roaming our floors is a dangerous practice in my opinion.
Levi used to be part of a group. I had multiple leopards but rehomed them when I came to Oregon. I knew it would be harder to properly provide of them here in this climate. I just wanted to do it for 1.