light/heat help

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
i already have an extension lead as we dont have a socket near his pen. id worry about adding another ext lead, due to fire risk, but thank you for the tip :)
I'm not taking about plugging another extension cord in the wall. You'll still only have the one extension cord plugged into the wall. I'm saying use one of those small extension cords with multiple plugs on one end. Plug both your CHE'S into that cord, and then plug that cord into into the Thermostat, then plug the thermostat into the original extension cord plugged into the wall. Your basically just running 2 heat sources off one thermostat. You wouldn't have to buy another one.

rafsmum

wirral uk
I'm not taking about plugging another extension cord in the wall. You'll still only have the one extension cord plugged into the wall. I'm saying use one of those small extension cords with multiple plugs on one end. Plug both your CHE'S into that cord, and then plug that cord into into the Thermostat, then plug the thermostat into the original extension cord plugged into the wall. Your basically just running 2 heat sources off one thermostat. You wouldn't have to buy another one.
yes i know exactly what you meant. I'd prefer to use a different one, but i cant. so that would mean plugging one
extension lead into the other which could create a fire risk, as i said. , but i dont want an ext lead plugged into another. using extension lead is risky, esp with 5 things plugged in lol, plugging another ext lead into it is riskier still!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
yes i know exactly what you meant. I'd prefer to use a different one, but i cant. so that would mean plugging one
extension lead into the other which could create a fire risk, as i said. , but i dont want an ext lead plugged into another. using extension lead is risky, esp with 5 things plugged in lol, plugging another ext lead into it is riskier still!
I'm confused, your not plugging any extension cords into another extension cord. Your plugging your thermostat into the extension cord. If you don't go this route and you buy another thermostat then your going to have 6 things plugged into the original cord instead of 5?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
ooh i have just been reading back.
It says leave the probe at tort height. (id forgotten that too karen! I have had it on the floor, and of course the substrate is damp under the orchid bark, So it will show as colder there, wont it? silly me!
I will move it up a bit to tort height and see if that makes any difference. its been at around 23 mainly today
That may be because i moved the che to a more central position on the left hand side, it was more over to the front so maybe wasnt spreading heat towards the back. That was with the probe on the floor
Good catch. Yes, it would definitely be a cooler temp on the damp substrate. The temperatures you’re trying to achieve are the ambient air temps. Hopefully with readjusting the probe and the extra work you did with the plastic sheeting will bring the temp to where it needs to be. From your previous response back to me regarding the possible second Che, I don’t really know what to say. It would be best to place it somewhere on the side of the UV fixture. If you place it beside the existing che it would be no different than getting a new che with a higher wattage, but all the heat would be more on the side where the che is. You could try the higher wattage che, but I don’t know if it’ll work. It’ll be an experiment, so I would try and buy it from a place where you can return it if it doesn’t work out. With regards to using 2 che’s and one without a thermostat, you’ll have to decide if you want to take that risk. What you’re saying about one turning off if the temp gets too high does make some sense, but it’s not a risk I’d personally be willing to take. I have read too many stories of things going wrong from not using a thermostat, and there has been 3 house fires in my extended family in the last 5 years, so I like to stay on the safe side and eliminate any potential hazards.

rafsmum

wirral uk
Good catch. Yes, it would definitely be a cooler temp on the damp substrate. The temperatures you’re trying to achieve are the ambient air temps. Hopefully with readjusting the probe and the extra work you did with the plastic sheeting will bring the temp to where it needs to be. From your previous response back to me regarding the possible second Che, I don’t really know what to say. It would be best to place it somewhere on the side of the UV fixture. If you place it beside the existing che it would be no different than getting a new che with a higher wattage, but all the heat would be more on the side where the che is. You could try the higher wattage che, but I don’t know if it’ll work. It’ll be an experiment, so I would try and buy it from a place where you can return it if it doesn’t work out. With regards to using 2 che’s and one without a thermostat, you’ll have to decide if you want to take that risk. What you’re saying about one turning off if the temp gets too high does make some sense, but it’s not a risk I’d personally be willing to take. I have read too many stories of things going wrong from not using a thermostat, and there has been 3 house fires in my extended family in the last 5 years, so I like to stay on the safe side and eliminate any potential hazards.
how do you mean there's been fires? I have been using this che without a stat for 2 months ( originally just hung over his old house draped over a stepladder. ) surely there will only be a fire if it touches something? I assumed the stat stopped the ambient temp from being too hot, not the che from catching fire?

rafsmum

wirral uk
I'm confused, your not plugging any extension cords into another extension cord. Your plugging your thermostat into the extension cord. If you don't go this route and you buy another thermostat then your going to have 6 things plugged into the original cord instead of 5?
you said to get a small ext lead and plug the 2 ches into that, , then plug that into the thermostat. but the thermostat will be plugged into the ext lead, so you still have another ext lead plugged into the main one via the stat even if not directly. The fact of the matter is, there will be one plug in my wall holding 2 ext leads no matter how theyre distributed!

rafsmum

wirral uk
so the temp at the cold end was 21 when i had the probe higher earlier. this is the same temp thats been his top temp for a good while. I need to get one whole complete sheet to put over as i have a few joined together atm while i decide on the best to use, so i think i have to work that to be the best it is, and maybe adjust the che again, then i will see where we are at. Im more worried about causing a fire with all these things plugged into a 6 gang ext lead to be perfectly honest lol without having to add 2 more!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
how do you mean there's been fires? I have been using this che without a stat for 2 months ( originally just hung over his old house draped over a stepladder. ) surely there will only be a fire if it touches something? I assumed the stat stopped the ambient temp from being too hot, not the che from catching fire?
The house fires that have occurred in my family were unrelated to tortoise or reptile keeping and had nothing to do with che’s. The point I was trying to make is because I’ve seen the devastation of house fires, I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to any sort of heating element. I try and consider worst case scenario and work to prevent those situations. The biggest concern with a che not being on a thermostat is over heating your tortoise.

Edit: I know a lot of this is overwhelming and confusing. Just to be clear, if resealing the plastic sheeting doesn’t hold the heat to the temperature it needs to be throughout the entire enclosure, I still think your best option is to get a second Che and thermostat and place it on the other side of the enclosure from where the existing che is. I don’t know how you can make that happen with your current set up, but it is the safest and most efficient way I know of to heat it evenly and properly.

Last edited:

rafsmum

wirral uk
The house fires that have occurred in my family were unrelated to tortoise or reptile keeping and had nothing to do with che’s. The point I was trying to make is because I’ve seen the devastation of house fires, I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to any sort of heating element. I try and consider worst case scenario and work to prevent those situations. The biggest concern with a che not being on a thermostat is over heating your tortoise.

Edit: I know a lot of this is overwhelming and confusing. Just to be clear, if resealing the plastic sheeting doesn’t hold the heat to the temperature it needs to be throughout the entire enclosure, I still think your best option is to get a second Che and thermostat and place it on the other side of the enclosure from where the existing che is. I don’t know how you can make that happen with your current set up, but it is the safest and most efficient way I know of to heat it evenly and properly.
i am VERY worried about fires which is why i am concerned about having 6 sockets on an extension lead all in use! It'd be bad enough if were here, if we went away and came back to a dead tortoise and no house it'd be even worse! I actually suffer from severe anxiety and one of the things i suffer is catastrophic anxiety which is where i imagine worst case scenario! i am always too careful really! I didnt even let my kids have a mobile until they were 17 in line with WHO guidelines and what id read about the damage to childrens brains. i still do not allow them to take mobiles to their bedrooms overnight. they stay in the kitchen!! I wash all my fruit and veg in vinegar ( and even raf;s weeds!) I still make myself ill worrying about them both driving. So m,y fear of a fire is indeed great and i am trying to juggle which is the worst, raf having some temps of 70 in his run when hes only had that temp everywhere for 7 yrs whereas he has higher temps in some areas now and not risking a fire, or bump up the temps and risk a fire. It is so hard!
Plus i have read many things that say there should be a temp gradient. warmer one end than the other and that is what i have. I read so many different things each day! i read one that said they need 70% fruit and ive only been giving him 20% fruit as thats what i also read! Its hard knowing which is correct!

rafsmum

wirral uk
actually it never fails to amaze me how many people do everything for their pets, and then give their kids a mobile phone which could kill then!! lol

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you spraying the substrate with water to keep it damp?

I have discovered that if I spray it with hot water, it really helps with heat and humidity! I spray while Sulafat is in his soak. When he gets put back into the enclosure, everything is dripping. I do also have the enclosure well heated, but you could give the hot water a try.

Reactions: ISU

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
ooh i have just been reading back.
It says leave the probe at tort height. (id forgotten that too karen! I have had it on the floor, and of course the substrate is damp under the orchid bark, So it will show as colder there, wont it? silly me!
I will move it up a bit to tort height and see if that makes any difference. its been at around 23 mainly today
That may be because i moved the che to a more central position on the left hand side, it was more over to the front so maybe wasnt spreading heat towards the back. That was with the probe on the floor

Good for you for reading back!

When folks first come on, there are so many posts, and too much info to all be absorbed. Reading from the beginning every few days reminds keepers of info they may have missed the first time around. Every time it's reread more of it sinks in and is learned.

I'm glad you have discovered this trick! It will serve you well! :)

rafsmum

wirral uk
Are you spraying the substrate with water to keep it damp?

I have discovered that if I spray it with hot water, it really helps with heat and humidity! I spray while Sulafat is in his soak. When he gets put back into the enclosure, everything is dripping. I do also have the enclosure well heated, but you could give the hot water a try.
yes, I bought an empty spray bottle some time back and fill it with hot water, i was spraying his old house with it, and also have done this one. Provided it isnt too hot I often spray him with it too. i put hot water in his water bowl too. (obvs i watch him to make sure he doesnt go in it whilst its too hot. )

rafsmum

wirral uk
by the way at tort height the coldest part was 21 degrees, and i need to readjust the covering. I am awaiting one sheet, i have a few bags over it atm! Its showing around 30 in the hot part, so i feel it isnt too bad esp as hes had it way cooler. he felt lovely and warm when i got him out for a cuddle last night!

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Cherryshell, what is so funny? Ourkids are more important than our pets. read this
Or maybe you dont care

As its looking like I'll have pets before kids, pets are more important at this particular moment in time. Besides our pets are our kids, and these ones in particular live in the house around longer kids will (or should) lol

actually it never fails to amaze me how many people do everything for their pets, and then give their kids a mobile phone which could kill then!! lol

I had assumed when you ended the post with "lol" that it was a case of that famous British dry humor. If you were attempting to convey a serious tone then maybe ending the post with "lol" should be avoided to prevent further confusion ;)

rafsmum

wirral uk
As its looking like I'll have pets before kids, pets are more important at this particular moment in time. Besides our pets are our kids, and these ones in particular live in the house around longer kids will (or should) lol

I had assumed when you ended the post with "lol" that it was a case of that famous British dry humor. If you were attempting to convey a serious tone then maybe ending the post with "lol" should be avoided to prevent further confusion ;)
i agree that before you have kids your pets are your kids, but believe me nothing comes close to your kids. The fact is, if you try not to do anythign to harm your pet, youd make even more effort with your children, Your children are the most precious thing you could ever ever have in your life

rafsmum

wirral uk
Good for you for reading back!

When folks first come on, there are so many posts, and too much info to all be absorbed. Reading from the beginning every few days reminds keepers of info they may have missed the first time around. Every time it's reread more of it sinks in and is learned.

I'm glad you have discovered this trick! It will serve you well! :)
Just thought id let you know
The coldest part has registered at around 22.5 today and i have to say the enclosure feels lovely and cosy. he was warm as toast when we got him out to bath him. he seems far more active and is eating like a horse! i have also noticed that i can see his colouring more. Normally you cant see it until you bath him but i can see more colouring in his head and on his feet, so I do think hes gettign a lot more warmth and humidity than he was before.
I still have to get a new plastic sheet in one piece and i think that will keep it warmer still, so i think he will be ok :)

rafsmum

wirral uk
Raf having dinner tonight and eating mango from my hand!
Cats ears, forget me not, sow thistle, wood avens, grape pear and mango

Attachments

• nr3.jpg
    nr3.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 10
  • nr1.jpg
    nr1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 10
  • nr2.jpg
    nr2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 10
  • nr4.jpg