Light Placement

Psyche84

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi. I am looking to get a Greek or Hermann's Tortoise and have been research... and researching... and researching. I was wondering about where to place the lights, not how high above the tortoise they should be, but do the lights themselves need to be on separate ends of the enclosure or next to each other or ...? Any advice would be appreciated.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think that ideally the uv light would be paired with/near a heat source

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The height of your bulbs will be determined by the temperature underneath them. If you are wanting a 95F basking spot and let's say the 100watt bulb is placed 12" away, take the temperature it produces. Too hot= raise the bulb. Too cool= lower it.

A nice thing about tube lighting/florescent bulbs is they can illuminate the non basking/uv end of an enclosure without increasing the heat (if you need light without extra heat)..

Psyche84

Colorado
So using a florescent tube for UVB it would also give more UVB exposure over the whole habitat correct? Do the tubes deteriorate UVB slower or faster than the bulb?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've never used artificial UV so I'll let others answers those questions.
I have used varieties of lighting for indoor enclosures and I find they benefit from (as do live plants) well lit areas.