UVB & Basking - What Do You Recommend?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
I've looked for the exact text of the law and didn't find it. I think it s illegal to SELL them in CA. Pretty sure possession of them is still not a crime.

I can't believe we're even having this conversation in a "free" country... Our government, with the force of law enforced by men and women with guns and badges is now telling us which type of light bulbs we can and can't use. I know I'm not the only one who sees a problem with this, but somehow more and more of the lefty loonies keep getting elected. People used to point their fingers at CA and NY and say we deserved what we got for letting those tyrannical, treasonous, criminals get elected, but guess what? The Marxist movement is infecting cities all over the country now. I guess all those people deserve it too.
Where can I be free and raise giant tortoises?!?! (With proper lighting?)

Could not agree more, Tom

aaron55

Bakersfield,CA
That's a T5, yes.
But it's not a T5 UVB lamp
T8s do not work as well as the newer T5s
This is an American market T5 HO uvb
I own several. I also have at least a half dozen old T8s laying around as spares. They do not broadcast UVB as well, or as far. But they can be used in an application where the fixture would be 10" or less away from the animal. (Not for a screened top)
A T5 can broadcast very useable UVB over 24" away. Even through a screen top
I have a leopard tortoise who is about 6 months old. Do T5 bulbs only work specifically with a certain fixture? I’m trying to change my lighting setup and I am pretty interested in the tube style bulbs but I have only found T8. The T8 bulbs and fixtures I found were from ReptiZoo but I have been reading mixed reviews. I don’t think I want to go with that brand. Do you have a certain brand you use? Do you have a specific website that you order certain fixtures and bulbs from? If not would you mind posting an amazon link? ??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a leopard tortoise who is about 6 months old. Do T5 bulbs only work specifically with a certain fixture? I’m trying to change my lighting setup and I am pretty interested in the tube style bulbs but I have only found T8. The T8 bulbs and fixtures I found were from ReptiZoo but I have been reading mixed reviews. I don’t think I want to go with that brand. Do you have a certain brand you use? Do you have a specific website that you order certain fixtures and bulbs from? If not would you mind posting an amazon link? ??
I bought these for my Chameleons and they are great for the price.
LLL REPTILES
And
BIG AL'S PETS Carrie's them for about $50. Complete with the tube

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 5