Above Tank Lighting Setup

Carlosf322

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi,

Apologies if there is a thread asking a similar question, I've been browsing for information all day and haven't found anything that can answer my specific question and have been getting overwhelmed with the amount of lighting information that doesn't actually answer my question.

I recently upgraded to a 200L tank for my YBS. His last owner had him in a 50L tank with barely enough water for him to be submerged in. After researching and taking him home I had him in a temporary DIY plastic bin tank while I found a suitable glass tank for him. That being said, with the new tank I'm hoping to maximise the water volume by using an above tank basking platform. I'm planning on using the Penn-Plax Turtle Topper with extenders to fit the tank.

My question is, given that I will need to buy new lighting fixtures for the new setup, as the UVB tube won't allow for the Topper to fit, will I need a UVB lamp to provide light to both his basking area and the water? My guess is that with the platform being out of water, and having a black plastic base, that a UVB lamp shining into the basking area won't provide sufficient enough UVB for the whole tank. So would I need 2 separate lights?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Carlosf322

Ireland
To add, I am planning on getting a mercury vapour bulb to provide UVA, UVB and heat in his basking area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To add, I am planning on getting a mercury vapour bulb to provide UVA, UVB and heat in his basking area.
Water filters out UV, so there is absolutely no reason to have UV anywhere other than over the dry dock basking area.

MVBs are unreliable and not a good way to go. Much better to use a flood bulb for heat and a HO tube for UV. Arcadia makes both of these and you should be able to find them all over Europe.

ZooMed recently released a new type of LED UV bulb. Its expensive, but it works very well and lasts a long time. I'm currently using several of them, and they work great.

Carlosf322

Ireland
Water filters out UV, so there is absolutely no reason to have UV anywhere other than over the dry dock basking area.

MVBs are unreliable and not a good way to go. Much better to use a flood bulb for heat and a HO tube for UV. Arcadia makes both of these and you should be able to find them all over Europe.

ZooMed recently released a new type of LED UV bulb. Its expensive, but it works very well and lasts a long time. I'm currently using several of them, and they work great.
Thanks for the response! Okay that makes sense I appreciate the help!