Light requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I've read 12 hours on/ 12 hours off for the bulbs. I have the Zoomed Power sun, so I know its a good one. (Huge drama with hoods though, how exasperating!) I've been soaking the babies ( Moe, and Poe...maybe) in the morning. I turn on the light at 7am, wait till things are nice and warm in the basking spot, 85, then soak them for 10-20 minutes in warm water. By then the basking spot is at 95ish and I serve them breakfast. Food slate is on the opposite side of the basking light, they are in a 41 quart tupperware box, so they can easily get to it.

Should I be turning the light off at 7pm? Do I need to be soaking them at the same time every day. We have a nice little routine, but sometimes I start work at 7am, sometimes not at all! (substitute classified teacher, my phone rang at 6am for a sub job today!) I have a timer for the lamp, but I'm not sure how I should set it. Should it change along with the seasons? Longer light hours in the summer, shorter in the winter?

Oh, and "Poe" pooped in his bath this morning. I was so excited :rolleyes:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Your set-up and routine seem fine for indoor care. I would turn the light on at 7 and off at 7. If you notice their routine changing some with the seasons, you can adjust it. When they get tired, they will just go hide and sleep whether the light is on or off.

You don't have to soak them daily, provided you have water available for them, so missing one or two is no big deal. If mine haven't gone already, they usually always poop in the water. At least you know they are eating well!

Keep up the good work! :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Thank you for the reassurance! Reading and knowing everything in theory is nice. But actually having them and trying to do it all just right is different!

I fed them some grass this morning, no one was interested at all. Hmmm, we'll keep trying things out! My son took a video of them eating and set it to music. I'm waiting for the youtube link and I'll post it here!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
pugsandkids said:
Thank you for the reassurance! Reading and knowing everything in theory is nice. But actually having them and trying to do it all just right is different!

I fed them some grass this morning, no one was interested at all. Hmmm, we'll keep trying things out! My son took a video of them eating and set it to music. I'm waiting for the youtube link and I'll post it here!

Can you buy Frissee at any local stores near you?

Mine will eat grass if it's mixed in with frissee, but he overly loves frissee.

I tear it in 1/2" pieces and sprinkle it in with the frissee. So even if he doesn't like it, he generally can't spit it out because it's too small.

This is what it looks like if you don't know. It comes in the spring mixes here as well.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s?q=frisee+lettuce&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1

Status
Not open for further replies.