Lightbulbs

Worriedjojo2456

Location (City and/or State)
Bowie
Hello! I have been here a while and my tortoise is doing very good. Unfortunately the sick one ended up passing away but the other one is alive and well.

I am here because my brother brought up a question.

You see i have lightbulbs around my enclosure, most of them LED bulbs and such. I have one regular incandescent bulb for basking

My question is: do these lightbulbs hurt my tortoises eyes? I mean my eyes hurt when i look at them so i was just wondering. Shes had them for months and doesnt seem to be blind or anything

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello there! Aw I’m sorry to hear you lost one of your torts☹️

I’m glad your other baby is doing well though!🥰

I don’t suppose you’d mind if we got a photo of your set up? What lighting is it you’re using exactly? If they’re regular leds in the 5000-6500k colour range, hung appropriately high, I don’t see them being a bother to your tort🙂
What kind of uv do you have? How have your temperatures been? Ie basking temperature(directly under the bulb) overall day temp, night temp? What’s your humidity like?

An up to date pic of your tort would be nice to see🐢💚

Worriedjojo2456

Bowie
Right now shes in kind of a temporary enclosure because im moving. I have a greenhouse coming next week that i will be putting her inside of. I have her in a 55 gallon sterilite container with an arcadia t5 HO uv light. A 100w ceramic heater. A strip of LEDs for temporary and a 60w incandescent bulb for the basking spot. I know in this container the lights are kinda close but they arent close enough to touch her at all.

Ive been feeding her lots of grass from the yard, mulberry leaves, and chias that i grow.

Yes i know she is still kind of small, but her breeder REALLY REALLY f'ed up with how he did things so i think shes kinda stunted and will take longer to reach 1 foot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Awesome! Greenhouse set ups work really well! I’d go as big as you’re able with that so it lasts until they reach 10 inches, which is when they’ll be big enough to go outside🙂unless you’re cool upgrading as they grow, you’ll probably find once they’re in a larger set up, she’ll catch up on some growth🤞

The types of lighting you’re using sound fine and I can’t see any reason they’d be hurting her eyes(though I can’t speak for the little led strip because I don’t know what make or strength they are) as long as that uv is around 18-20 inches from the top of her shell it’s not too low, and if the ground temp is fine in there, then the bulbs probably aren’t too low either(though I’d always have at least 8-10” from their shell) do you use a temp gun to check? They’re handy🙂

Your temp and humidity levels look good, just need to create that in the larger greenhouse set up now😁would love to see all that once it’s done if you’re up for sharing🥰With those kind of set ups, I’d leave at least a week for the materials to off gas until there’s no odour👍

Bless her, definitely very tiny for their age, which is a year or two no? You’re right in saying a bad start can definitely contribute to this😣hopefully she catches up for you!❤