Lighting question

BobbyJ

Tommorow I'm getting a 90 gallon fishtank for me 4" redfoot . It's only temporary I know it's not big enough . My question is about the lighting , I have a 4 ft liight fixture and I wanted to buy a tube uvb bulb .. I'm going to load the tank with plants also ... Is this too much uvb ? Or it the light ok as long as there's enough shade

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
The 90 gallon tank is only 2ft wide, right? Just make sure you buy the right kind of tube, 5.0 needs to be closer to the tortoise than a 10.0 uvb tube. The light itself needs to be a certain distance away from the tortoise in order to be effective. You will always need a place in the tank that he can get away from the light if he wants to.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The visible region of the spectrum comprises photon energies of 36 to 72 kcal/mole, and the near ultraviolet region, out to 200 nm, extends this energy range to 143 kcal/mole. Ultraviolet radiation having wavelengths less than 200 nm…….bla bla bla …read more here (it is interesting) and very detailed/Heavy Duty …….
http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/Spectrpy/UV-Vis/spectrum.htm
Although I do know this … care is needed when using UVB fluorescents as it disrupts the circadian rhythms due to its suppressing effect on melatonin production. In the wild tortoises do not bask all day, most of the time hiding under rock crevices ,under fallen debris, scrub brush, and in burrows. So don’t assume more UVB is better. Different species have different requirements. Those species from an open and arid land are exposed more so than species from forest habitats and or jungles. Using timers is also important to routinely keep the light cycles in check (like mentioned above) and can be altered thru out the year, much like we experience the four Seasons. Florescent tube’s UVB disperses rather quickly so try keeping fixture around 18” above enclosure. Also as a reminder..Glass, Acrylic, Plastics/Plexi Glass and Screen tops block a high percentage of the UVB your after- so that needs to be taken into consideration. As Mother Nature Puts it …..: Nothing better than real Sunshine.;):D

BobbyJ

The visible region of the spectrum comprises photon energies of 36 to 72 kcal/mole, and the near ultraviolet region, out to 200 nm, extends this energy range to 143 kcal/mole. Ultraviolet radiation having wavelengths less than 200 nm…….bla bla bla …read more here (it is interesting) and very detailed/Heavy Duty …….
http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/Spectrpy/UV-Vis/spectrum.htm
Although I do know this … care is needed when using UVB fluorescents as it disrupts the circadian rhythms due to its suppressing effect on melatonin production. In the wild tortoises do not bask all day, most of the time hiding under rock crevices ,under fallen debris, scrub brush, and in burrows. So don’t assume more UVB is better. Different species have different requirements. Those species from an open and arid land are exposed more so than species from forest habitats and or jungles. Using timers is also important to routinely keep the light cycles in check (like mentioned above) and can be altered thru out the year, much like we experience the four Seasons. Florescent tube’s UVB disperses rather quickly so try keeping fixture around 18” above enclosure. Also as a reminder..Glass, Acrylic, Plastics/Plexi Glass and Screen tops block a high percentage of the UVB your after- so that needs to be taken into consideration. As Mother Nature Puts it …..: Nothing better than real Sunshine.;):D
It's going to be 24" above the surface .. I'm thinking I'll make a big dark hide for him on one side of the tank so that he can hide in the shade of he wants and not have any light hit him

BobbyJ

The 90 gallon tank is only 2ft wide, right? Just make sure you buy the right kind of tube, 5.0 needs to be closer to the tortoise than a 10.0 uvb tube. The light itself needs to be a certain distance away from the tortoise in order to be effective. You will always need a place in the tank that he can get away from the light if he wants to.
Yes I'm gonna probably buy the 10.0 and he has a log and there's going to be a lot of plants as well as probably a cave im gonna build him.. The lights going to be 24.5 inches away

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yes I'm gonna probably buy the 10.0 and he has a log and there's going to be a lot of plants as well as probably a cave im gonna build him.. The lights going to be 24.5 inches away

Depending on the lamp that may be too far. You might be better off with a mercury vapor bulb.

Check this distance chart out and buy the appropriate bulb accordingly, sorry if you aren't buying this brand but it's all I could find on distance:
http://zoomed.com/Library/ProductDBFiles/UVB-Reach.pdf

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX

That's pretty far away so make sure the bulb is a HO (high output) 10.0

That or use the MVB bulb

BobbyJ

That's pretty far away so make sure the bulb is a HO (high output) 10.0

That or use the MVB bulb
Yup you were right , unfortunately I didn't see this till I got home from the store with the 5.0... Gonna have to go back and make an exchange this weekend ..thanks

BobbyJ

I'm gonna need to use the tube because I have live plants in there. I have HIBISCUS . Dahlia flowers and spring cactus all redfoot safe and looks good too

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yup you were right , unfortunately I didn't see this till I got home from the store with the 5.0... Gonna have to go back and make an exchange this weekend ..thanks
Is your 5.0 a high output? If so it may be fine. A 5.0 high output will put out more than a standard 10.0

A 10.0 high output would be best

BobbyJ

Is your 5.0 a high output? If so it may be fine. A 5.0 high output will put out more than a standard 10.0

A 10.0 high output would be best
No it's a 5.0 repti-glo by exo terra.. Only effective up to 12 inches .. I'll get the 10.0 this weekend and that'll be goo up to 24 ... Here's a pic of the new havitat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 13

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
No it's a 5.0 repti-glo by exo terra.. Only effective up to 12 inches .. I'll get the 10.0 this weekend and that'll be goo up to 24 ... Here's a pic of the new havitat
If the bulb fits in one of those light fixtures in your pick them it's most likely the wrong kind of bulb. You need a tube type, like 18" long. If not you need a MVB

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
looks like you have a screen top. like n2torts said, a significant amount of uvb is blocked with those screens.