Lighting suggestions

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Sorry for the slight delay, hopefully Alex’s response cleared things up a bit, but yeah I’d generally try to avoid them if you can and look round for the incandescent reptile floodlight

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I was able to grab one of the arcadia ones alex showed me. Some reviews are the site are not that great hopefully it works out. But noticed in stores there is not much available.
Reviews about reliability are mostly because of bad shipping: you should not shake and drop incandescent lamps (tungsten spiral is fragile).

Delivery and warehouse guys are often unaware of such requirements. That's how I've got my UVB tube delivered (thin glass tube containing mercury). Another tube was thrown over the fence because truck driver was in hurry...

Attachments

• PXL_20240806_111745924.jpg
    PXL_20240806_111745924.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was able to grab one of the arcadia ones alex showed me. Some reviews are the site are not that great hopefully it works out. But noticed in stores there is not much available.
There is really nothing left in any store here in CA. For a few years I would buy up everything I could fine while out of state, but I'm slowly using those up...

I don't know what we are all going to do when we just can't get them anymore. Hopefully the reptile companies, like Arcadia, will keep it going for a while. If not, the best compromise I can come up with is a two fixtures side by side with a LED in one and a CHE in the other. Probably have to run the CHE on a dimmer switch. This is not ideal, but it might be all we've got.

NationMostWanted

CA
Reviews about reliability are mostly because of bad shipping: you should not shake and drop incandescent lamps (tungsten spiral is fragile).

Delivery and warehouse guys are often unaware of such requirements. That's how I've got my UVB tube delivered (thin glass tube containing mercury). Another tube was thrown

There is really nothing left in any store here in CA. For a few years I would buy up everything I could fine while out of state, but I'm slowly using those up...

I don't know what we are all going to do when we just can't get them anymore. Hopefully the reptile companies, like Arcadia, will keep it going for a while. If not, the best compromise I can come up with is a two fixtures side by side with a LED in one and a CHE in the other. Probably have to run the CHE on a dimmer switch. This is not ideal, but it might be all we've got.
Well if arcadia has these and they work I don't mind running to store to get them as they go out. It would suck if it's not in stock and have wait days to ship them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well if arcadia has these and they work I don't mind running to store to get them as they go out. It would suck if it's not in stock and have wait days to ship them.
At this point, I would buy lots of extras if they are available. I used to buy 12 packs of 65 watt floods for $10-12, and I'd just go buy another case once I had used about half of them. I run about a dozen at a time in winter.

NationMostWanted

CA
At this point, I would buy lots of extras if they are available. I used to buy 12 packs of 65 watt floods for $10-12, and I'd just go buy another case once I had used about half of them. I run about a dozen at a time in winter.
My luck, I'll buy them and by time I use find out they broken

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My luck, I'll buy them and by time I use find out they broken
Oh that happens. At least one or two of the bulbs in the 12 packs were broken, but they were so cheap it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to fight with them about them.

Tortellini0000

Vancouver bc

I have these in Canada - would this work? If so, maybe a road trip? Lol or find someone to send them to you

Attachments

• IMG_6637.png
    IMG_6637.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have these in Canada - would this work? If so, maybe a road trip? Lol or find someone to send them to you
I've had that type before and they worked just fine and dandy. I don't know if a road trip of that magnitude is worth it for some light bulbs.

Tortellini0000

Vancouver bc
I've had that type before and they worked just fine and dandy. I don't know if a road trip of that magnitude is worth it for some light bulbs.
Are you from California? It’s about a 18 hour drive from the border. Super pretty drive Iv done it with my family!

NationMostWanted

CA
Ty to everyone for lights help tho for past two days. Now I'm browsing for good online breeders here. I should get all my supplies and stuff ready by next week.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Are you from California? It’s about a 18 hour drive from the border. Super pretty drive Iv done it with my family!
I imagine a "briefcase exchange" at the border... "Have you got the bulbs?", "Yeah, show me the money". And then some explanation to customs officer.. "Yes, sir, the bulbs. Yes, for the tortoise...".