lighting

Jayme

I'm new mom of a 3 month old sulcata. What is the best light/bulb for my new baby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Can you give of us some more info about your set up like the size, is it open top or closed chamber? A picture would be worth a thousand words.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello and welcome to the forum. Check out the top of the sulcara section for the care sheet. It will give you a great deal of information on what your tortoise will need. First and foremost is that your baby tortoise will need heat and humidity. A substrate such as coconut coir works well, hey or straw will dry out your baby very quickly. Read through the thread's and come back with your questions. Have you gotten your tortoise yet? It takes a little work to get the set up correct but once it is it's pretty easy. But hatchlings are fragile so it has to be right from the very beginning.

Jayme

Hello and welcome to the forum. Check out the top of the sulcara section for the care sheet. It will give you a great deal of information on what your tortoise will need. First and foremost is that your baby tortoise will need heat and humidity. A substrate such as coconut coir works well, hey or straw will dry out your baby very quickly. Read through the thread's and come back with your questions. Have you gotten your tortoise yet? It takes a little work to get the set up correct but once it is it's pretty easy. But hatchlings are fragile so it has to be right from the very beginning.

I read alot but it gets confusing at times. Then you walk in pet store and have so many to choose from. I got him yesterday and I'm up for the 3rd time worried about him and the temp. It is now 432 am!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read alot but it gets confusing at times. Then you walk in pet store and have so many to choose from. I got him yesterday and I'm up for the 3rd time worried about him and the temp. It is now 432 am!!!

Please read these before you do anything else Jayme.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, Tom

You're welcome! :) Please come back with all your questions after you read those. We are happy to help you sort through all the conflicting info out there. Usually things just require a simple explanation and chances are good that people reading will have the same questions you have.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know it can get overwhelming very quickly. But all the information you need is here on this site. So just stay here, read, and ask questions.