Lighting

Amossharon

Hi I have just brought an extension on my table I am after some advice on the lighting am thinking that because of the size that I maybe need more any advice would be appreciated she is a Russian tortoise who is a 16 months old..20170623_105330.jpg

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm am totally new but have been reading prolifically and made some changes based on what I am learning here. UVB lighting should be over the food to encourage them to eat while absorbing at the same time. I bought an MVB flood light that was too warm and just got tube fluorescent lights and a CHE instead I am installing now. This way I avoid too hot, can hook it up to a thermostat for absolute temp control, and it runs the length of the tank and will always be getting UVB.

I am also learning humidity is important and therefore a closed chamber is probably better. Also to encourage humidity placing the CHE closer to the water. I'm not sure where your geographical location is but because this is an indoor set up I'd add more UVB across the tortoise box, add sphagnum moss that is moistened, and spray/soak s/he daily. I'm sure someone will have better advice btw but definitely more day time lights.

Amossharon

I'm am totally new but have been reading prolifically and made some changes based on what I am learning here. UVB lighting should be over the food to encourage them to eat while absorbing at the same time. I bought an MVB flood light that was too warm and just got tube fluorescent lights and a CHE instead I am installing now. This way I avoid too hot, can hook it up to a thermostat for absolute temp control, and it runs the length of the tank and will always be getting UVB.

I am also learning humidity is important and therefore a closed chamber is probably better. Also to encourage humidity placing the CHE closer to the water. I'm not sure where your geographical location is but because this is an indoor set up I'd add more UVB across the tortoise box, add sphagnum moss that is moistened, and spray/soak s/he daily. I'm sure someone will have better advice btw but definitely more day time lights.
Hi yes thanks I knew that I would need some more light will rearrange her water and food when I get a tube I did have a cover for my old table as was recommended to me I just have to get a bigger one now..im in gloucester England so weather not great lol...thank you for your advice am just off now to get the tube and will keep a eye out for some moss I did try and grow a spider plant but it didn't end well as was told that was good for humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll need substrate all over the whole floor. Also, it's too open. It will be impossible to keep the WHOLE table up at the right temperature. I'm assuming you have a baby tortoise, and this means he needs to be about 80-85F degrees all the time. Warm and humid. So it will need to be covered. You can make some sort of framework to support a cover, then put up a tube type UVB bulb and you can use a ceramic heat emitter elsewhere to make sure the whole thing is warm enough.

This is what I have done for my baby leopard tortoises:

baby leopards 6-24-17 a.jpg baby leopards 6-24-17 b.jpg

It looks like heck, but it's in my laundry room, so I really don't care what it looks like. I'm shooting for baby tortoise comfort, not looks. They're in a big plastic tub and I have a Zoo Med light stand on one side of which I removed the light hook and replaced it with a metal tube that goes all the way across the enclosure so I could use more than one light fixture. Then I cut out a servicing hole and covered that with a piece of plastic sandwich wrap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just wanted to add: When I post pictures like above, I'm not saying you MUST do it this way or else. I'm just trying to give you some ideas so you can be inventive and work out something that works for you and your tortoise. The above works for me.

Amossharon

I just wanted to add: When I post pictures like above, I'm not saying you MUST do it this way or else. I'm just trying to give you some ideas so you can be inventive and work out something that works for you and your tortoise. The above works for me.
Thanks hun I did have a cover over my old table just got to get a bigger one now her old table seemed to work well for her and it is quite warm in the house atm I brought a in lamp that I'm going to fit to give her extra light and if people recommended strip lighting but we just couldn't think of how attach it with out it looking unsightly as she is in my lounge will see how it works out fee her she has finally got used to her new table and I just live seeing her exploring it I will be getting some plants in there aswell

Amossharon

My new table is coming along great Luna seems very happy with the amount of space she now has just a cover and some plants to add then she should be happy as Larry.. .thank you for your advise x