New Enclosure Lighting Enquiry

zarawyon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hiya. I have just got my new outdoor enclosure for my 8yr horsfield and I’m not sure how to go about the lighting / heating for the house section. I am thinking of using a Zoo Med Powersun UV Flood Lamp on a timer. I don’t know if i need other lighting or heating or if this lamp would provide all. I would also have a thermostat somewhere in the enclosure. I live in the uk so the tort would only have access to the run when it is hot enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated:)))

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
People don't generally use lighting in an outdoor enclosure.

Powersun bulbs and other mercury vapor bulbs should not be used over tortoises. For one thing, their UV output is all over the map and unreliable. For the sake of argument, lets say you've got a good MVB and the UV output is stable and where it should be. You still don't want UV on for 12 ours a day. The UV only needs to be on for a few hours mid day.

Check this out, and look for the temperate species care sheet farther down the page. It explains a good way to house them outdoors and keep them active and healthy even when the weather doesn't cooperate.

zarawyon

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks!
The idea was to have her in the enclosure permanently all year round so i thought heating and lighting would be required in the house section as when it was cold and raining she would just stay in there and not go into the outdoor section.

I live in the uk so temps are 20-25C in summer and much colder in winter (0C at times) and so heating would be needed. The house section is insulated to aid this.

Having looked at the forum i think she needs an incandescent flood bulb/ reflector bulb and a uvb tube which i can mount on the food and have attached to an outdoor power supply.