Lighting

Olivesmum

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
Hello,

Would people mind sharing how they attatched their flood light bulbs to their vivarium!

Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use coffee cup holder hooks that screw in to the ceiling. I've always just hung them by the cord, but several electricians have told me that is less than ideal, to put it nicely. What you SHOULD do is use a piece of baling wire or some light sash chain attached to the fixture to hang it. Most dome fixtures have a little wire piece attached just for that purpose.

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is another way to do it, seen in one of my snake enclosures. This socket is not currently in use, but you can see how it is mounted directly to the ceiling and you just screw in a bulb.
IMG_6546.JPG

Here is another way to do it. This is one of my outdoor night boxes for my star tortoises:
IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use hooks like Tom Dorsey but doing it his way is dangerous and can/will shorten the life of the wire. So I use bungee cords or clothes line rope. Attach to the wire that is on the dome fixture and then to the hook.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Here is another way to do it. This is one of my outdoor night boxes for my star tortoises:
View attachment 350342

If you still have these lights this way, you should really think about adding a connector where the cord enters the box, and forks where the wire terminates under the screws. The knot prevents the cord from being yanked out, but does nothing to prevent movement of the wires, laterally or into the box.

If you don't have or want to use forks, you can do it how the video shows. I think stranded wire around a screw is less than ideal but better than how you have it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you still have these lights this way, you should really think about adding a connector where the cord enters the box, and forks where the wire terminates under the screws. The knot prevents the cord from being yanked out, but does nothing to prevent movement of the wires, laterally or into the box.

If you don't have or want to use forks, you can do it how the video shows. I think stranded wire around a screw is less than ideal but better than how you have it.

This is what happens when boys grow up without a father and are left to figure things out on their own... Thank you for the tips.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hello,

Would people mind sharing how they attatched their flood light bulbs to their vivarium!

Thank you!
My light fixture came with a metal hanging bracket. I screwed a cup hook into the ceiling of the PVC enclosure and used “decorative chain” to adjust the correct height.

1665366020318.jpeg

Reactions: Tom