Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hi.

Does anyone know for certain how many lights or lighting areas I would need for a 4 inch Russian in a 40 gallon enclosure? I currently have 1 100Watt UVA light to create heat for him (angled; not top-down) and 1 50w UVB light that covers the middle of the enclosure (this one is top-down and not angled). The UVB 50W light is close to 12 inches away from the surface of the substrate while the 100W UVA angled light is close to 16 inches away from the surface.

Should I be adding or changing anything? I was thinking of adding another 100W UVA & UVB light to add more "coverage" to the surface area.

Thoughts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, what are your temps sitting at with this current set up? Basking spot, ambient and cool side? :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
A picture would be helpful. I like to light the whole enclosure (fluorescent tubes are probably the easiest), and then provide hides so they can choose for themselves.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
A picture would be helpful. I like to light the whole enclosure (fluorescent tubes are probably the easiest), and then provide hides so they can choose for themselves.

Hey Guys.

So the temperatures I got in the hottest spot is 100 degrees F. This temperature along with mid to upper 90's was persistent through almost half of the enclosure in and around the center of the bulb's aim (for his heat lamp the 100Watt).

The furthest corner from the light is the spot he never goes to was about upper 70's and low 80's. The coolest spot was under his "cover" where he sleeps and has no light or heat and was also about mid 70's to upper 70's.

He's always hanging out in the hottest spot or is completely hidden away under his "cover." It all seems appropriate to me so that's why I'm checking with you all.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
wpeltola said:
Sounds like you're already in a good place with temps and UV.

If you change anything out, I would highly recommend you purchase the PowerSun 100W for your tort. This is an all-in-one bulb and produces the right around of heat and UV. Right now, Amazon has a great proce on them - http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-PowerSun-Mercury-Vapor/dp/B0002AQDJK/ref=pd_rhf_se_shvl3

Haha, yes I'm aware that this is the best one out there right now. I am waiting for something to "break" so I have a reason to go out and buy this. Although buying a bulb online might not be so smart since they have to ship it over and it could easily break...

jacquiroell

5 Year Member
I'm a newbie but I've read the T Rex is better? The reviews on the other one isn't very good - they said the bulb is different now and the company lowered the UVB output.

Anyway, If I use one of these bulbs, I don't have to use the UVB bar anymore? What do I put for light, etc on the other side of the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.