Russian tortoise lighting??

JeanetteR

Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Hi friends!! I was wondering if anyone here can help me out with some lighting questions I have for a yearling tortoise?? I have
Purchased a heating bulb as well as a bulb that provides both uva/uvb light but I wanted to know if both should be kept on at the same time 24/7? Or is the heating lamp kept on 24/7 And the uva/uvb light turned on only at night for a few hours??

Please let me know :)

mimi2000

Fargo
Following =) I've been finding so much good info in my pre-tort research but lighting has been the MOST difficult to get clear answers on.

Omaha, Nebraska
Neither light needs to be kept on 24/7. Russians need day/night cycles like the rest of us. Therefore, having both lights on for somewhere around 12 hours and then both off for 12 hours should be fine.

It doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours on/off, I use 14 on and 10 off in the summer and gradually adjust it so that it's the reverse in the winter, but this isn't required. My point is, use whatever cycle you want as long as there is both day and night in +/- even amounts.

You can use a night heat light if you want to provide a small amount of light to be able to see them at night, but it's not necessary. Russians will be just fine overnight without any heat and will burrow into their substrate if they get too cold. Obviously, make sure the substrate is deep enough for them to burrow.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am 14 on and 10 off year round as I have not bruminated my Russian. for lights you need
1. UVB source- T5 or T8 bulb no coils or MVB Bulbs
2. Basking spot- a 50 watt incandescent bulb can make heat and light for the bask - Halco 104058 - 50 Watt - BR30 - Incandescent Reflector. Also I use a 50 watt CHE to create a 95-100 spot at shell height
3. I added a 5500 K LED Plant Light (White Spectrum no other colors) this adds no heat just light and the ability to grow for your Russian to eat and destroy.

I use 4 inches of cypress in the indoor enclosure and my Russian will completely disappear after a quick dig in for the night