Lights

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I went to Petsmart for the bulbs for my soon to be RF and I am wondering what lights I should get, What I priced and looked at was m
Exo Terra Vision Lamp 26 w $$25.99
All Things Living 75 w $8.99 ( I think this was the basking bulb not too sure I didnt write that down
Exoterra 60w Daytime Heat Lamp 60w $6.99
All things living heat lamp $17.99 for 8.5 in
All things living heat lamp 5.5 in $ 16.99 for 5.5 in

Is this stuff okay? Am I missing anything? If so could you tell me what. or the best brands? Where to find them cheaper etc.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A long tube uva/uvb is good along with a heat source, such as a ceramic heat emitter or a day light bulb and a night heat source...and if you are dealing with a tortoise that is going to primarily be indoors alot...then heavy planting of the the enclosure (not so important if the tort is outdoors alot vs remaining in the indoor set up)....the brand will depend on what you want to spend and what you have access to, you know what I mean?

I personally would just stay away from the coil/pig tail style uva/uvb bulbs--these are hard to keep in a small space and not affect the torts eyes in a negative way.....just my opinion....also, if you are going to allow the tort to be outdoors in the natural uv rays--then you do not need to worry about an indoor uv bulb (again, this is ONLY if you offer outdoor time at least a few times a week for no less than an hour each outing..) :D

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
What type of plans should I plan in my enclosure? And wouldn't it get very buggy? House bugs? What would prevent that? Also what would be your IDEAL shopping list from a chain store or an online website? I hope you can answer I am at a loss

Thank you !
Sean

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i use a tube uvb light a normal house hold light for my basking area and 2 CHE's (ceramic heat emitters) on a thermostat all the light's not che's are on a timer to give a proper light cycle

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
What would be your guys recommendation on the lights what brands and where to get them? I am trying my best to figure out everything but a little guidance wouldn't hurt! :D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i got my fixtures at lowes and a normal house light for a basking area i got my CHE's and uvb at petsmart you really just have to look around and compare prices there's no one brand we all use different stuff pretty much whatever brand get's the job done

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
I need a heat lamp, UVA/UVB, Basking, Daylight and do i need an undertank heater?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I need a heat lamp, UVA/UVB, Basking, Daylight and do i need an undertank heater?

you need a che (heat lamp) a UVB tube and a normal house old light as a basking area that's it the che will take care of heat so you don't need a undertake heater and they're not recommended UVB and basking area are the only visible lights you need as i said before red foot's don't care for bright lights CHE doesn't put out visible light it just raises the enclosure ambient temp

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
i got my fixtures at lowes and a normal house light for a basking area i got my CHE's and uvb at petsmart you really just have to look around and compare prices there's no one brand we all use different stuff pretty much whatever brand get's the job done

I also went to lowes, I got my dome lamps and a properly sized strip lamp for less then jack what the pet store charges