Little Bluestem Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

cprewitt

5 Year Member
I found this add for Bluestem grass seeds but it is Schizachyrium scoparium rather than what is listed on the sheet in another thread here on the forum --the Sulcata Diet Sheet -- that says Adropogo scoparious. Any botanists out there know if this variety is OK as well?

Grass Little Bluestem Seeds

Grass Little Bluestem Seeds
Schizachyrium scoparium
Item #1812
Perennial. Little Bluestem is a popular ornamental, native grass that provides year-round color and interest. Fluffy silver seed heads appear in late summer and remain on plants through the winter months, or can be cut and brought indoors for use in dried bouquets. Very adaptable and easy to grow, plants thrive in almost any soil, moisture or exposure. The strong root system makes it ideal for extremely dry sites.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Schizachyrium scoparium is the correct name for Little Bluestem. I believe they may have mixed the genus name up with Big bluestem Andropogon gerardii . Both of these plants are good food/cover for torts. By the way they are a major component of the native habit of Ornate box turtles.

cprewitt

5 Year Member
Great! Thanks for the information my new botanist best friend! I ordered seeds today.
Cynthia

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The scientific name of little bluestem grass is Schizachyrium scoparium.

The scientific name of big bluestem grass is Andropogon gerardii.

These two grass species have similar common names and often co-occur in the Great Plains. However, they are in different genera, so they are not particularly closely related. Both are edible for herbivorous animals like cattle, sheep, bison, elk, sulcata tortoises, and other grazers.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
cprewitt said:
Great! Thanks for the information my new botanist best friend! I ordered seeds today.
Cynthia
I'm not a botanist by any means, just a Tallgrass prairie lover. I suggest you checkout more of the plants of that biome such as coneflowers, tickseeds, and of course prickly pear as they make an attractive and tort friendly environment .

Status
Not open for further replies.