Local Box Turtle Shell Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I have found a few local box turtles, I own a hatchling whose parents are wild and local, and 1 shell from a box turtle. I have also seen box turtles from other states and counties. I noticed that all of the local specimens have a different shell shape. The very front vertical scute always has a sharp downward direction different from the curve of the rest of the shell. Is this normal or something new?

Here is the shell I found from a local adult turtle.

IMG_00952.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_00972.jpg

Here is Ellie, you can see where she is starting to show the different scute.

IMG_00982.jpg

IMG_01022.jpg

IMG_01012.jpg

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Rhyno ~

When I lived in NC, there were always wild Eastern Ornate Boxies running around, and honestly, I don't recall any of them having such an indentation... altho, that could just be a difference in locale and/or hereditary.

Other than that, I dunno what to say, as I have only had Leopards since moving back to Cali ~ Hopefully others here will have a more definitive answer for ya!

Be well ~
Purpod

P.S. Shelly is adorable :p

M

Maggie Cummings

The shell looks like Eastern to me and the hatchling looks like a Florida But Easterns have 6 or more subspecies now and the hatchling could be a Eastern. But then I have a 3 toed who's carapace is as pretty as the hatchling, and looks almost exactly the same. So even tho I have rattled off some information I am probably wrong and the shell is a Gulf Coast. But I can guarantee now that I have taken a guess Danny will come on and give the correct answer. There's nothing he likes better then to prove me wrong...:p

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hello again Rhyno ~

Forgive me for calling Ellie Shelly; it's been a long day!

And Maggie, who knows, maybe Danny will prove us both wrong, lol. :D

Good Evening All,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.