Long distance travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I have a red foot, about 9 months old, in the middle of March I will be making a trip from Indiana to Orlando for spring break. I can't leave him alone for a week so I will be bringing him with. Which I am actually excited about since we will have a screened in porch so he will get a lot of out door time, which he hasn't been able to recently.

I have taken him home to Chicago on numerous occasions and he is fine, but that 2 hour drive is much shorter than the 17 hour drive down to Florida. I have a container to bring him in, with substrate and everything like, the biggest problem I see is warmth, so what is a good way to keep the temperature up over the trip. As well as any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

M

Maggie Cummings

The first thing I'm thinkin is he is too young for Spring Break!!! Wow, this will be the first time a tortoise goes on Spring Break.

I'd not worry so much about heat in the car as you will have the heat on for you too. I'd bring a black light bulb for warmth after you get there. Just bring a regular light fixture and the black light bulb and that will work for warmth. I use a cardboard box for travel and keep the lid closed so it stays dark and he will sleep most of the way and that's what you want. If he wakes up he'll be stressed and probably poop. Anyhow, I have traveled a lot with torts and IMO they travel easily...

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Tank is a well traveled tort and I use a heating pad set on low. I use a power converter so I can plug it in the car.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Be sure to plan and prepare for things like the car breaking down and losing the heat in your car. Have plenty of heat packs and a blanket to wrap him in. Also have a small container in like a bag or purse, which you can bring inside with you if you stop for any length of time. That way he can go inside of warm, but "no animals allowed" areas. ;)

Also remember that porch while it may have sunshine, also may have had chemicals used on it that may harm your tortoise. Plus it may be hard to keep other Springbreakers from wanting to see and handle him... or slip him something which may harm him. :(

EKLC

5 Year Member
I have the jar on the far right.
0007644095705_500X500.jpg

I wrapped it entirely with insulation (denim based) and filled it with some clean coir and hay to hide amongst. You warm it up to about 85-90 by holding it for a few minutes

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I do already have a container for him to travel already(as we make frequent 2 hour trips probably once every month-month and a half). We are also planning on leaving right around bed time as well, which should help. Looks like I will be getting some heat warmer just to make sure.

As for the patio concern Jacqui, the only people who have access are the people I will be staying with who are my close group of friends that I trust so I won't have to worry about people. As for chemicals, I was planning on essentially bringing his enclosure which is a storage tote for now(so very portable) and either letting that sit outside for a little bit or finding something to put down to make it tort safe.

thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.