How to Travel with Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I will be taking a trip next month and must bring the Greek. My plan is to place him in a small rubbermaid container with the proper substrate and a couple of hand warmers. He will be in the car, but temps in the car will not be 90 degrees. The trip is around 8 hours.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you so.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Make sure you also have towels to wrap around the outside to further insulate his cage. I would be sure to have a very small one in addition to the traveling cage. One small enough that if you breakdown, you can put him under your coat to help keep him warm and be able to sneak him into a nonpet place incase of an emergency.

Make sure he is placed some where that if you have to make a sudden stop, he won't fly off the set, get turned over, or the such like.

Make sure to advoid having him in undue drafts of cold or even heat. Some heaters will raise the temps too high if the turtle is enclosed in plastic. Even winter sunshine thru the car windows can cause lots of heat. Best to have a traveling thermometer with you to double check on it as you go.

Yes I know I look for all the worse things to happen, but then I am ready if they do. You should have no major problems with such a short trip. Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

Bring all the lights and stuff he will need when you get where you are going. Bring extra hand warmers. Make sure to keep him in a dark quiet box as he travels.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Thanks that is great help. I will prepare for the worse. Dark and quiet, small enclosure, secured...ugh...oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.