Long Fire

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I love hearing about the special teams, massive coordinating etc. I'm especially happy every time one of these "congraflations" takes place and no one here is personally affected.

you guys got heart though........i don't live where the earth shakes, burns or blows up mountain tops and the only thing I need to see seep out the ground is water.

"Spidy senses" or your "gut" is correct far more often than your brain is, isn't it???...amazing how filtering out concious thought makes things so obvious

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I love hearing about the special teams, massive coordinating etc. I'm especially happy every time one of these "congraflations" takes place and no one here is personally affected.

you guys got heart though........i don't live where the earth shakes, burns or blows up mountain tops and the only thing I need to see seep out the ground is water.

"Spidy senses" or your "gut" is correct far more often than your brain is, isn't it???...amazing how filtering out concious thought makes things so obvious
WELL SAID
and Thank You!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca

As I just started thinking about this, I thought some may find this interesting.

Years ago I had the opportunity to work for a relative of 1 of the "Founding Families" that was involved with the beginning of the logging operations in CA. Incredible to hear and learn about, I was amazed at the obstacles overcome with little to no technology. In 1 of the "Clearing" jobs (where we made piles of Giant Trees to be burned) the Boss told me about a tree that decays naturally. If a tree is allowed to rot and return to the earth it actually releases more "Bad Things" than if it were to be burned. Another thing I learned on that job was how terrible our Forest Management is in CA and the US in general.
When Washington was president here in the US you could ride through the forest on horseback, now you'll have trouble just walking through the forest. Point being this ... 2 hundred years ago we didn't fight forest fires at all, now we fight every one. Naturally the fires would burn all the branches from ground to 10-12 feet off the ground, and extinguish themselves. Now the fires burn the whole damn tree and go on for what seems like eternity and we are "Fighting" them. Doesn't sound like we know what the heck we are doing.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As I just started thinking about this, I thought some may find this interesting.

Years ago I had the opportunity to work for a relative of 1 of the "Founding Families" that was involved with the beginning of the logging operations in CA. Incredible to hear and learn about, I was amazed at the obstacles overcome with little to no technology. In 1 of the "Clearing" jobs (where we made piles of Giant Trees to be burned) the Boss told me about a tree that decays naturally. If a tree is allowed to rot and return to the earth it actually releases more "Bad Things" than if it were to be burned. Another thing I learned on that job was how terrible our Forest Management is in CA and the US in general.
When Washington was president here in the US you could ride through the forest on horseback, now you'll have trouble just walking through the forest. Point being this ... 2 hundred years ago we didn't fight forest fires at all, now we fight every one. Naturally the fires would burn all the branches from ground to 10-12 feet off the ground, and extinguish themselves. Now the fires burn the whole damn tree and go on for what seems like eternity and we are "Fighting" them. Doesn't sound like we know what the heck we are doing.
The fires have to be put out so that they don't spread to people's homes. And now there are a lot more people and their homes. Right?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hope you're doing ok. Haven't seen nor heard from you for a few.🙏🤗🙏🤗

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The fires have to be put out so that they don't spread to people's homes. And now there are a lot more people and their homes. Right?
Exactly. If they had kept the people out of every square inch, just about, they wouldn't have to fight them. Humans have to live in places that weren't meant to be lived on.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hope you're doing ok. Haven't seen nor heard from you for a few.🙏🤗🙏🤗
I am ok, been very busy with our rescue. We also have another fire in our area burning up homes faster than the Park Fire up north. Lots of people losing everything.
Sorta .... When we extinguish EVERY fire we are leaving lots of fuel to pile up over years then we get to where we are now. Fires have not increased in number but have exploded in size, this is mis management of our natural forest. CA doesn't have the largest forest in the world yet we have some of the biggest fires ... Don't make much sense.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
But here's the thing... I heard that one of the biggest fires going on was started on purpose. He's in jail but he's caused untold heartache. I'm sure the residents try to live safely during dry seasons and take precautions as much as they can.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
But here's the thing... I heard that one of the biggest fires going on was started on purpose. He's in jail but he's caused untold heartache. I'm sure the residents try to live safely during dry seasons and take precautions as much as they can.
So the fire going now (biggest in our county's history) was started by a suspected drunk driver. He was driving erratically and went off the road in the Kern River Canyon, ejected and killed but started a fire immediately from the truck catching fire. I am going to post a bunch of fire pics on my thread "I live in Paradise" and "Sleeping Lady." Yesterday they started going through the fire zone looking for bodies, found 2 almost immediately ...... so damn sad. We lost an entire town with Historical Roots, gone ... nothing left.