Long nails and very tired

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
Well, the nails are NOT too long, so that's one problem solved. About the eyes...they are not swollen, just squinty and moist. I don't know what would be causing that. Do you keep them on sand? Sometimes sand irritates their eyes. It may help if you flush his eyes with sterile saline a couple times a day for a week or so. Soak him every day and keep him warm. Hopefully you'll see an improvement. Oh, and keep him separate for a while. Male russians just want to breed the females all the time, and taking that temptation away from him will help him settle down.

I cut the nails that were really long they were in the back. They could've been kept on sand before me, but I use coconut substrate. Im soaking daily an have separated them. The problem is, he is too settled down and lethargic.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Could be the time of the year is causing the slowdown; each Russian seems to react to the shorter days differently.

Put your basking light on a timer with 14 hours on and 10 off. Allow your evening temperatures to drop down to 70 degrees even cooler once he's acting healthy.

If not eating good, try tempting with some dandelions, radicchio, and some Belgian endive. If that does not produce a healthy appetite then I would start the baby food soaks.

Also get your humidity close to 60%, dusty conditions can cause eye problems also.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
Could be the time of the year is causing the slowdown; each Russian seems to react to the shorter days differently.

Put your basking light on a timer with 14 hours on and 10 off. Allow your evening temperatures to drop down to 70 degrees even cooler once he's acting healthy.

If not eating good, try tempting with some dandelions, radicchio, and some Belgian endive. If that does not produce a healthy appetite then I would start the baby food soaks.

Also get your humidity close to 60%, dusty conditions can cause eye problems also.

I put on 12hr times but I'll switch it to what you advise. I have the humidity around 60 and tried v dandelions today no luck. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!