Long time !

NB98x

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
So I have not been on here for a good while now as I have been extremely busy working/getting things ready for Christmas (as well as looking after Daisy of course) . I’m sorry if anyone thought I had quit this thing :) Daisy is doing very well I have stopped the coconut oil (not completely just don’t do it after every soak now) as I heard from a pet shop worker that it isn’t that great for them . They didn’t specify any reason(s) for this but I figured they would know more than me ? Hope all ur tortoises are healthy & happy and u are all excited for Christmas . Love from myself & daisy here in not so sunny Scotland [emoji217]

NB98x

Scotland
So I have not been on here for a good while now as I have been extremely busy working/getting things ready for Christmas (as well as looking after Daisy of course) . I’m sorry if anyone thought I had quit this thing :) Daisy is doing very well I have stopped the coconut oil (not completely just don’t do it after every soak now) as I heard from a pet shop worker that it isn’t that great for them . They didn’t specify any reason(s) for this but I figured they would know more than me ? Hope all ur tortoises are healthy & happy and u are all excited for Christmas . Love from myself & Daisy here in not so sunny Scotland [emoji217]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just an FYI, a pet store will not know more then the people of this forum. In fact, pet stores are usually filled with poor outdated info.

NB98x

Scotland
Just an FYI, a pet store will not know more then the people of this forum. In fact, pet stores are usually filled with poor outdated info.

Thank u for ur comment :) that’s so bad they are giving false advice then ?

Alaskamike

South Florida
It’s just that pet store employees need to know a little bit about allot of different animals. Sometimes they are hired just because they smile & can run a register. Not their fault.

But taking advise on husbandry of any one animals is iffy. Best to do your own research with people who specialize.

We on the forum don’t always agree - but can often come to a consensus of good information based on experience. This really gives you the best shot at good care.

If your interested in the debates & experience with coccnut oil - there is an extensive thread on it in the debatable section by @glitch4200
Worth a read - especially the last several pages.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank u for ur comment :) that’s so bad they are giving false advice then ?

• The majority of pet store employees have limited knowledge about the birds, cats, dogs, fish or reptiles they are selling. They are there to SELL merchandise. Regarding bad advice on tortoises....they usually recommend incorrect housing, lights, substrate, food, humidity, soaking, mates..... You get the idea.

NB98x

Scotland
It’s just that pet store employees need to know a little bit about allot of different animals. Sometimes they are hired just because they smile & can run a register. Not their fault.

But taking advise on husbandry of any one animals is iffy. Best to do your own research with people who specialize.

We on the forum don’t always agree - but can often come to a consensus of good information based on experience. This really gives you the best shot at good care.

If your interested in the debates & experience with coccnut oil - there is an extensive thread on it in the debatable section by @glitch4200
Worth a read - especially the last several pages.

Thank u for sharing that info with me I appreciate it . I’ll have a wee read into that thread later sounds good [emoji1440]‍♀️

NB98x

Scotland
  • The majority of pet store employees have limited knowledge about the birds, cats, dogs, fish or reptiles they are selling. They are there to SELL merchandise. Regarding bad advice on tortoises....they usually recommend incorrect housing, lights, substrate, food, humidity, soaking, mates..... You get the idea.

Yeah I get u that sounds about right I remember when I “reserved” daisy , to buy her later (off an experienced tort keeper and breeder) , my dad went to a pet shop for her housing & they sold him an average sized viv and a food/water dish for 350£ . We later discovered that a viv isn’t the right housing for a tortoise . She was tiny when I got her (6 months old baby) so it wasn’t really space that was an issue but she kept hitting her head/shell off the glass so we looked into it & found that out . So since then she’s been in a wooden table & is much happier .