Long toe nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

busybee

5 Year Member
Hi guys some advice please. My four yr old female Indian star has really long toe nails that curve over. The male diesnt have this problem. Do u trim file or cut them. I'm in the uk the vet here look after Herman tortoise so not sure If u should take her there or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi busybee:

Sometimes the female's toe nails are a little longer than the male's. Can we see a picture to be sure what you're talking about?

You can trim a tortoise's nails just like you would trim a dog's nails, but be careful not to trim too short. It will bleed.

busybee

5 Year Member
I've tried to get a close shot but she won't sit still hope you can see what I mean. I don't have a dog just gold fish so only know how to cut human nails??

image-383994553.png

image-3663276101.png

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Yes, they need a trim. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, it's a simple thing for your vet to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that first picture is an excellent example of toe nails. See how towards the tip it is white? Then as you move towards the foot you can see red through the white? Well you want to stop trimming BEFORE you get up to that red part. You can just use a human toe nail clipper, but take of small increments at a time.

Once you have them trimmed, it would help if you use a different substrate. Pellets are hard for a tortoise to walk on and not good for their joints. Maybe you could use regular dirt from outside? Not sand. Do your tortoises every have any outside time?

busybee

5 Year Member
Hi thankyou for your advice. As it's cold for 7 months out of the year they are only outside in the summer where they go
In the garden on the lawn and concrete areas. Il cut them

Oops sorry!
I will cut them tommorrow . I have dry grass/hay and was told to use calcium sand which I put In one area of there house where they rest . Is this right? Should I just use soil from the garden or buy clean soil like top soil or something similar?

wildak

5 Year Member
Females normally have way longer curved nails on their hind feet that act as a shovel when digging nests. I can't tell from the pics if they are too large or not.
When I have mine indoors I keep them in soil with some rocks laying around to climb over and around, it helps keep their plastron clear of poo and keeps the nails trimmed proper.

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.