Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
JaneF said:
TortieGal said:
I still can’t believe she was in my driveway.

Is it possible that someone left her there knowing you are a dedicated tortoise owner, hoping you would take care of her? I'm new to tortoises (thanks to all for the great information!), but it's amazing how often people leave other animals where they believe there is a sympathetic human.

Welcome! I don't think so; I don't know anyone who would do that and we live out in the country not a lot of neighbors. I would be happy to go with that though. When I got home from work today it was pretty hot out so I sprayed the tortoise's enclosures and she came out and sat under the water and looked up like yea that feels good! What a character she is.

JaneF

5 Year Member
She sounds adorable.

We live in the country too, and it's amazing how many domesticated animals have just shown up in our yard. Maybe our pets send out signals to those needing sanctuary.

Years ago in our pre-electric dog fence days, the Labrador we rescued from the humane society rescued his own 100 pound retriever. The retriever had been loose in the area for months, an owner couldn't be found, and nobody wanted to send him to the pound. Jake in his travels met the homeless dog and brought him home. I had promised not to take in any more strays, so Jake brought his buddy to the front porch every night when he came in. It only took about a week, and Jake's friend Sam moved in. They were best friends for years (even after the electric fence was installed) and died within 6 months of one another.

Perhaps your new tort "rescued" herself; it sounds like she's found a great hostel. All it took was a stroll across the right driveway at just the right time ;).

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Great story about Jake and Sam, it amazing how animals will help each other.
I am so glad that I didn't run her over. The circumstances were just right and I seen her in time. Thank goodness she was walking in front of me and not behind! And we have so many predators here. Well she's safe now.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
You say you do not have many neighbors.
Have you considered knocking on a few doors and asking if they are missing any pets? No need to mention what you have found...
Maybe even take a peak in a few backyard to see if you can see any pens?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have over the years had several turtles and tortoises just dropped off at my doors, soemtimes with a note and box, sometimes I have just woken up in the morning and seen a RES walking down my driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.